- What's the best stop loss strategy for your dividend paying shares?
- Running a stop loss is one of the easiest ways for investors to keep a lid on their losses when investing in shares. Trailing stop losses also have their benefits as they lock in profits when a share price rises.
But what should you do when it comes to stop losses with your dividend paying shares? After all, you bought them for their dividend payments, not capital appreciation.
Here's one wa... ››› more
- [22 October 2014]
- If you're investing for good dividend yields, you should look overseas
- If you're looking for bumper dividend yields, you could search further afield than South Africa.
So where can you look to invest?
Read on to find out…
The link between share prices and dividend yields
When share prices rise it causes their dividend yields to fall.
Company ABC’s shares are trading at R20 each. It pays R1 a year in dividends. That means it di... ››› more
- [18 September 2014]
- A strategy to help you spot the best dividend paying companies
- When it comes to finding the companies that will continue to pay great dividends into the future, you need to look back at what's happened in the past.
By looking back at how companies have performed over the past five to ten years, you can gauge how they may perform going forward.
Following a strategy like this is one of the best ways to gauge what companies look promising if you're investi... ››› more
- [12 September 2014]
- Don't let a company's dividend yield mislead you, especially if it's a REIT
- Contrary to what you may believe, a company's dividend yield actually tells you very little about how much it will pay you.
Yes, the dividend yield is your income from a company. And yes, the bigger the dividend yield, the bigger the payments.
But it's not just as simple as that. Especially if the company is a real estate investment trust (REIT).
Let's take a closer look…
How the ... ››› more
- [11 September 2014]
- A dividend's record date: Make sure you're on the books to get your share of a company's profits
- If you're thinking about buying a share because of its dividend and the company declares a dividend while you're thinking about investing, how can you ensure you get the dividend?
There are key dates surrounding the payment of dividends. And one important one is the record date.
To be entitled to a dividend payment, you need to ensure you own shares before this date.
Let's take a closer ... ››› more
- [27 August 2014]
- Income seekers alert: How to build a dividend paying portfolio
- If you're looking to invest for income, dividend paying shares are a great place to start.
So if you want to build a dividend portfolio, where should you begin?
Let's take a closer look…
Finding the right dividend paying shares
The first thing you need to do it find shares to put into your dividend paying portfolio. You tend to find that the larger companies on the Johannesburg S... ››› more
- [26 August 2014]
- How to put your dividend income to work for you
- As an income investor, you're looking to invest in the best dividend paying stocks. You want to build a portfolio of shares that, over time, increases your dividend pay outs.
But do you have a plan to make your dividends work best for you? Unless you need your dividend income to live off, what should you do with it?
There are two ways that you can make your dividend income work best for you.... ››› more
- [25 August 2014]
- Delving into dividends: How to interpret and use a company's dividend yield
- If you're looking for an investment portfolio that pays you an income, you can't look by dividend paying shares.
Investing in well-established, solid companies that pay dividends is a great option. You stand to benefit from twice yearly pay outs from the company, plus capital appreciation over the long-term.
One ratio that can help you weigh up good dividend paying companies is the dividend ... ››› more
- [07 August 2014]
- How to use free cash flow to investigate whether a company looks set to continue paying dividends
- If you're investing for dividends, you want to see if a company looks likely to continue paying those dividends into the future.
Of course, there are no guarantees. But there are some things you can check that can give you a good indication.
You can start with looking at a company's free cash flow. Let's take a closer look…
Why look at a company’s free cash flow?
When it comes t... ››› more
- [05 August 2014]
- The benefits of investing in companies that pay dividends
- Investing in dividend paying companies is a great long-term investment strategy.
Companies that pay solid, consistent dividends over the years tend to be the giants of the stock market.
The benefits from investing in dividend paying companies are two-fold.
Read on to uncover why you should consider investing in companies that pay dividends…
What are dividends?
Dividends are si... ››› more
- [01 August 2014]
- Dividends uncovered: What you need to know about income-paying shares
- If you're looking to invest in shares that pay dividends, where do you start?
The first thing you need to know is, how do dividends work?
Why does a company's share price drop before it pays a dividend?
What are the best ratios to use to weigh up dividend-paying companies?
And where can you find the best dividend-paying stocks?
Keep reading to find out the answers to these question... ››› more
- [21 July 2014]
- Why you should reinvest your dividends to grow your wealth
- One to way to grow your wealth is to buy investments that generate an income.
Investments that tick this box come in a variety of different forms. You could receive rental income from property, interest payments (or coupons) from bonds or you can get income from shares as dividends.
Income investments hold the key to growing your wealth over time. One great way to do this is to reinvest you... ››› more
- [15 July 2014]
- Dividend reinvestment: A strategy to boost your income
- Investing in dividends is a great way to generate an income. If you don't immediately need that income, then why not reinvest those dividends? Dividend reinvestment is a great way to boost your shareholding and in turn boost the dividends you receive. Let's take a closer look at how dividend reinvestment works…
Dividends are the secret to long-term investing success
Successful investing for ... ››› more
- [30 April 2014]
- Looking to invest for dividends? Here are two ratios to help you dig deeper
- If you're investing for dividends, you'll need a couple of ratios to weigh up the dividend. So what options do you have? Two ratios worth calculating include the dividend yield and the dividend pay-out ratio. Let's take a closer look at how to calculate them and how to interpret them…
Dividend ratio #1: The dividend yield
The dividend yield (DY) is the percentage yield you get as a dividen... ››› more
- [29 April 2014]
- Why you should care if a stock has dividend payments or not
- Some companies make dividend payments to their shareholders. This dividend can come from a company's profits. In some cases it comes from a company's reserves. So should you care if a stock has dividend payments or not when you invest? The short answer is yes. Read on to find out why…
Once you’ve mastered THIS secret, you can use the st... ››› more
- [17 April 2014]
Watch And Learn