- Live the life you want and break the chains of financial slavery
- Fifteen years ago, I didn't think this was possible.
Maybe it was for other people, but certainly not for me...
At the age of 20, I drove a red Golf Chico, earned R5,000 a month, lived in a tiny one bedroom flat in someone's back garden and couldn't afford to take an annual holiday.
Today, my life is totally different. That's because I understand the life changing power of earning, sav... ››› more
- [16 August 2016]
- You can make more money working three days a week
- How many days do you work in a week? Five, six maybe even seven?
Do you spend 8 to 12 hours at work, drive home and then spend another 2 or 3 hours on your laptop?
Do you enjoy doing this?
I'll be honest. I was just like you. I spent 90% of my day working my fingers to the bone. I hardly saw my family during the week or even on the weekends.
Then, I burnt out.
I spent a week st... ››› more
- [11 August 2016]
- Eight reasons you won't have enough to retire - Here's what you need to do right now!
- You won't have enough money to retire.
I know I sound like the harbinger of doom, but it's a reality that you and most South Africans need to face up to.
Now you might be asking, why am I saying this about you? Well, I am only looking at the statistics.
The Financial Planning Institute of South Africa says less than a quarter of South Africans can afford to retire. If you think that's ... ››› more
- [11 August 2016]
- If you're failing at a career you hate, take a chance and succeed at what you love
- I know what it feels like to be stuck behind a desk, earning a pittance and despising your existence. But I changed the way I live my life. I took a calculated risk that paid off. Today, I am writing this letter to you from my home office, while watching my kids through my study window as they play outside.
I want you to be able to experience this level of freedom too. Spending more time work... ››› more
- [21 July 2016]
- Don't you wish someone told you this about money when you were in your 20s?
- When I look at the financial education I received at school and university, I always wonder how different my life would be today if I had better quality information.
Where would you be if your teachers, parents and mentors taught you more about managing money, the stock market, investing, savings and general day-to-day budgeting?
How different would your life be today?
Let's take a clo... ››› more
- [19 July 2016]
- Have you discussed these four financial topics with your partner?
- If the statistic that 50% of all marriages end in divorce is accurate, it means that South African couples need to pay close attention to the way they manage their finances.
Whether you're just starting out or already in a steady relationship, you and your “better” half must manage your finances effectively so that it doesn't destroy your relationship.
To help you succeed, I've found f... ››› more
- [19 July 2016]
- 14 mistakes you make with your money but refuse to admit
- Ah South Africans! Blinded by politics, multicultural in every way, revered by the world... But man, do we suck when it comes to money?
We're a country of proud people. We've survived some of the most severe political turbulences the world has ever seen. We beat it all. Despite all the challenges our country still faces, we have a proud heritage.
Maybe that's why so many of us refuse to adm... ››› more
- [18 July 2016]
- Warning: You could be overpaying your fund manager for little or no returns
- It's a global argument that continues to gain traction and plague most fund managers. Crucially, today this argument is becoming more prevalent in the South African financial industry.
I'm talking about performance fees.
Should they be removed? Are investors getting their money's worth when investing in a fund?
There's a growing consensus that performance fees only benefit the fund man... ››› more
- [08 July 2016]
- The petrol price is heading up again tonight - Increase your income today
- Times are tough and they're only going to get worse. According to the department of energy, you can expect the price of petrol to go up by at least 11 cents per litre tonight. Diesel will increase by 42 cents per litre. The price of paraffin is going up by 43 cent per litre.
The main reason for the fuel price increase is related to the fact that petroleum product prices are going up. Fortunatel... ››› more
- [05 July 2016]
- With the cost of living increasing and people living longer - Have you planned for your retirement?
- According to biomedical gerontologist, Dr Aubrey De Grey, the next person to live to the ripe old age of 150 has already been born.
What if that's you?
What if you live till 80 or 100? Will you have enough money to last you that long after you retire?
Ten or twenty years ago, collecting your last paycheque at the age of 65 was a reasonable expectation. But as life expectancy and the co... ››› more
- [21 June 2016]
- 20 questions every financial adviser should answer
- Financial advisers are a dime a dozen in South Africa. Walk into any investment firm and you'll find them, sitting behind their fancy desks in their tailor-made suites and large offices crunching numbers.
They come across as bold and confident and in some cases; their knowledge of the investment environment can be intimidating. But just because a financial adviser looks like he knows what he's... ››› more
- [13 June 2016]
- Everything you MUST know about tax and your investments
- If you've been acting on the share recommendations the FSPInvest team delivers every month in publications like The South African Investor, Real Wealth and Red Hot Penny Shares, then you're probably making handsome investment returns right now.
Soon, these investment returns will spark interest from SARS, and soon they'll come knocking asking for their share of your profits.
Your broker is... ››› more
- [09 June 2016]
- Could a “ban of cash” by Government and Central Banks ever hit South Africa?
- On my trip to London last year, my international colleagues from the MoneyWeek offices discussed an interesting concept that was secretly emerging throughout the world.
They called it “The War on Cash”. Simply, it's a sinister scheme already being actioned throughout the global financial system, which allows governments and Central Banks to keep borrowing, and transfer your wealth into the... ››› more
- [02 June 2016]
- Five ways to get started saving up to invest your money today
- If you want to start investing but you don't know where to start. I want to show you five ways to save enough money so that you can start investing your money as soon as possible.
Most people believe that it's difficult to save your money but this isn't true. You just need to take a good look at your financial situation and the services at your disposal to find the money you need.
Sometim... ››› more
- [02 June 2016]
- How to avoid the 20 most common retirement planning mistakes
- There are so many things you need to consider when planning for your retirement.
Of course, there's the obvious retirement planning concerns, like how much you earn and how much debt you have but there are other factors that could leave you scrambling around trying desperately to build up your retirement savings.
To help you prepare for your retirement, I've found 20 of the most common ret... ››› more
- [02 June 2016]
Watch And Learn