- How this pensioner got off the grid and saved R18,540 in the first year
- Eskom's admitted that it's struggling to keep the lights on. Existing power stations don't produce enough power to support demand.
The coal industry and leading mining media are not convinced that Eskom will get enough coal to run its power stations.
When this happens, the blackouts we know so well will get worse. And we'll be paying Eskom even more because tariffs are constantly increasing.... ››› more
- [13 May 2016]
- 9 out of 10 people make money from this business model… You should too!
- According to Bloomberg, a whopping 8 out 10 new businesses FAIL in the first 18 months.
But there's a special kind of business model that has a 90% chance of success.
Here's how you can be a part of the right statistic…
A fundamental reason why ordinary start-ups fail is because they go into it alone. The lack of expertise, experience and funding ultimately cripples these entrepreneurs... ››› more
- [12 May 2016]
- How much do you need to live the lifestyle you want or enjoy the retirement you deserve? Calculate your ‘Magic number' in ten minutes or less!
- Do you know your magic number?
It's the number you need to retire one day or simply to live the lifestyle you want in say, the next 10 years?
It's a fact that by the time a person reaches retirement, sixty percent will not have enough money to live on.
If you're like me, I'm sure you don't want to be part of this statistic and even if retirement seems a long way off, maybe you're more ... ››› more
- [11 May 2016]
- South Africa's underground R49 million economy is open for business
- It started out as an informal short-term savings scheme in the 1800s. Since then it has evolved into a R49 million investment vehicle that services about 8.6 million South Africans.
This revolutionary system allows people to save money for groceries, school fees, funerals and even lavish holidays. With a minimum of 11 savers in each group, this underground system encourages trust between membe... ››› more
- [11 May 2016]
- Can a trust really help you protect your generational wealth?
- To find out if trusts can help you protect your family's financial situation after you're gone, Aiden Sookdin spoke to one of the foremost trust experts in South Africa, Albert Vorster, Senior Fiduciary Specialist at Momentum Trust Limited. Here's what you need to know...
Albert agrees that trusts are still relevant for effective estate planning, asset protection and generational continu... ››› more
- [10 May 2016]
- Hedge Funds in a modern world and how you can use it to profit
- Last month, I had the privilege of speaking to Gary Booysen as we prepared our articles for The South African Investor publication.
I was fascinated by the history lesson Gary gave me about the evolution of the hedge fund industry. I realised that the investment world is riddled with complex structures, obscure products, puzzling regulations and often downright confusing terminology.
But, ... ››› more
- [10 May 2016]
- What my mother taught me about retiring wealthy
- I probably learned more from my mother's retirement experience than anyone else's. When she retired, she wanted security, lived austerely, but had no idea whatsoever of enhancing value.
And therein lay the disaster. My mother sold her home, moved into a seemingly more secure rented complex, and placed all financial resources into a low interest bearing building society account in an extremely h... ››› more
- [09 May 2016]
- The number one wealth preservation rule: Protect your assets
- No matter what you financial situation is, there's nothing more devastating than seeing the Sheriff auctioning off your business, home and other assets because you lost your job or a business venture you put your heart, soul and life-savings into went bad.
That's why it's vitally important to make sure your assets are protected from creditors in the event of any unforeseen eventuality like inso... ››› more
- [06 May 2016]
- Boost your retirement investment income the low risk way
- So, you think that during retirement you can rely on your investment income to keep you going. Well, what if you find yourself dipping into your actual investment capital to make ends meet?
The danger is, each time you take cash from your investments, there's less capital invested to generate income.
That's why today, I want to show you how an ultra-low risk investment to help you generate... ››› more
- [06 May 2016]
- How to find the best unit trust
- Unit trusts are solid investments. They deliver safe, long-term gains and take the worry of investing your money off your shoulders.
But what makes a good unit trust?
Let's take a closer look at what you should be looking for when deciding on a unit trust investment.
It all starts with what you want...
Before you invest in anything, you need to know what you expect to achieve from ... ››› more
- [05 May 2016]
- Four benefits that could make trusts your perfect investment solution
- The best legal way to make sure you don't lose your money is to distance yourself from it.
Let me explain...
Putting your assets into a trust means that you don't personally own them anymore. The assets are held in trust for the benefit of the beneficiaries. The trustees simply manage these assets. When everyone involved signs this contract the Mater of the High Court registers the trust. ... ››› more
- [05 May 2016]
- Four easy steps to get yourself out of debt starting right now!
- Are you tired of being broke? I know that at one point in my life, I certainly couldn't handle. I turned every cent over twice. I even had to turn down parties, holidays and family gatherings because I just didn't have the money.
And I know I'm not the only South African who knows what it is like to be broke. Fortunately, I managed to dig myself out of by broke hole and today I live a life free... ››› more
- [02 May 2016]
- Make sure you've packed your “retirement parachute” before it's too late
- Every day I meet new people who continuously worry about the markets trampling on their investments. People feel anxious that investing won't give them enough to survive.
You see, retirement plays on most people's minds. And in today's times, the sad thing is, a retirement annuity isn't enough to retire comfortably and support your family.
What it really comes down to is answering these two ... ››› more
- [18 March 2016]
- The number 1 way to protect and grow your retirement nest egg
- One of the keys to successful income investing is proper asset allocation, how you balance your portfolio among stocks, bonds, cash, real estate, commodities, gold, and other investments. And asset allocation is not just for your investment portfolio. The can apply the same strategy to your retirement nest egg. Read on to discover the number one way to protect and grow your retirement nest egg… ... ››› more
- [07 March 2016]
- Not even government can hide the political and economic ditch they're digging for themselves
- In previous essays, I've shown how most South African state-owned institutions are crumbling…
The SABC management and finances are in constant disarray, so is Eskom, Sanral, SAA, the postal service and the education system…
Just look at this quote from Robert McNamara, ex-president of the World Bank, during visit to South Africa in 1982.
"I have seen very few countries in the world... ››› more
- [27 January 2016]
Watch And Learn