- MAY DAY MAY DAY - Tories loose majority and tech stocks stumble - Three to buy with updates
- Global Markets are busy digesting the UK election results, which indicated the Tories have lost their small majority. The UK now sits with a Hung Parliament, which will see the UK enter the Brexit negotiations set to start next week on the back foot. It will be interesting to see if the EU takes a harder line with them than previously expected. The weaker pound should buoy the FTSE. The ECB left i... ››› more
- [13 June 2017]
- How to profit from the biggest technological revolution to reach mankind
- Right now, the world is experiencing an unprecedented revolution.
No I'm not talking about a political or economic revolution.
I'm talking about a technological revolution that will fundamentally alter the way we live, work, and connect with one another.
In fact, this transformation will be unlike anything mankind has experienced before. And it's only just begun.
Today I'm going to... ››› more
- [12 June 2017]
- Which shares are you invested in as South Africa enters a recession?
- South Africa has just officially entered a recession.
GDP figures for the first quarter of 2017 show a GDP contraction of 0.7% quarter on quarter, and it follows the fourth quarter of 2016 which saw a 0.3% contraction…
This is the first time since 2008/2009 that South Africa's entered a recession, which is defined as two quarters of negative GDP growth.
So if our economy isn't growin... ››› more
- [08 June 2017]
- While the Cape roasts, Trump has upset Paris! - Three to buy, one to sell
- Last week local news was dominated by developments around the #Guptaleaks. New revelations seem to jeopardise President Zuma and that served to strengthen the Rand. To top it off, S&P held our foreign currency rating a notch below investment grade, which drove the Rand below USD/ZAR 12,80.
At about the same time, President Trump pulled out of the Paris accord, still denying any link with clima... ››› more
- [06 June 2017]
- How a cyber-virus could make you a fortune
- Today I'm going to prove how a simple computer virus gives investors - who know where to look - a great opportunity to make money.
It sounds unbelievable, doesn't it?
But it's true.
In just a few moments…
I'll explain exactly how a cyber-computer virus could drive one investment's prices to new highs, and make savvy investors a fortune.
Let me explain…
***************... ››› more
- [05 June 2017]
- This popular share is like a deep dark pit for your money
- With the success Famous Brands has had in the last decade scores of investors have flocked to similar ‘opportunities' in the food sector.
Taste Holdings was probably the most exciting of these opportunities.
It owned Scooters Pizza, and Maxi's.
And when the company announced it would acquire The Fish and Chip Co in October 2011, its share price started a boom from 150c, to 450c in 2013.... ››› more
- [02 June 2017]
- How you can avoid paying dividend withholding tax - and grow your portfolio faster
- Every time you get paid a dividend you need to pay dividend withholding tax on it.
That means, if you own 10,000 shares in a company and it pays you a dividend of R1 a share, instead of receiving R10,000 in dividends your dividend withholding tax will be deducted first.
In the past it was 15%.
But since March 2017, dividend withholding tax has been increased and now sits at 20%.
Th... ››› more
- [02 June 2017]
- The perfect example of why you must avoid “Unicorn” stocks
- Last year in MoneyMorning, I wrote about “How unicorns” are the next “Tulip Bubble crisis.”
“Unicorns” are the name given by Silicon Valley to private start-up tech companies that have valuations of $1 billion or more. They're usually categorised as innovative, high growth companies.
But as I explained last year, many institutional investors pile cash into “... ››› more
- [29 May 2017]
- Should you sell in May and go away…?
- News flow seems to have subsided for now, markets continue to grind gradually higher. The JSE added 1% last week on the back of stronger commodity prices; Brent recovered 3,4% after trading softer for several weeks.
Internationally, markets continue in a holding pattern; testing new highs. Commodities are responding to a weaker dollar and US Markets stumbled for the second time on new challen... ››› more
- [27 May 2017]
- Are you ready for a South African Wealth Tax? You've likely never seen anything like this before…
- The Davis Tax Committee (DTC) has issued an invitation for submission, by the public, on a proposed South African wealth tax. You are likely familiar with taxes on income (PAYE) or even spending (VAT), but you have likely never encountered a true wealth tax.
A wealth tax, as the name suggests, is a tax on your wealth.
There are three basic forms discussed in South Africa. The first two, de... ››› more
- [18 May 2017]
- SA firmer, US softer, OPEC may curb production further - Three JSE stocks to buy with updates
- Local markets were slightly firmer across the board last week, assisted by some Rand weakness and better commodity prices. US markets were slightly softer, the UK rallied 1,8% while Europe was flat.
US economic data did not meet expectations, which has called the pace of continued rate hikes into question. The US dollar gave up ground against most major currency pairs. Political uncertainty re... ››› more
- [17 May 2017]
- The investment concept that's “100 times more important than any stock pick”
- If it all hits the fan and the market goes downhill, does your investment portfolio have enough protection?
Most people can't give a confident straight answer of “yes”.
And this is a big problem.
But relax, because you can kick this problem to the curb.
By using a concept that is described by Editor at Stansberry & Associate, Dr David Eifrig Jr as, “100 times more imp... ››› more
- [17 May 2017]
- Macron wins French election, settles markets - Two to buy and one to sell
- US markets closed at record highs on Friday, helped by technology stocks like Apple, Facebook and Google. The strength of the US markets is filtering through to other developed markets and the victory by Emmanuel Macron in the French elections eliminates one more hurdle. Improving global sentiment bodes well for the weeks ahead.
The rise in technology stocks is playing out nicely for our inve... ››› more
- [09 May 2017]
- The proven secrets to master the “buy high and sell higher” strategy
- We've all heard the expression to make money in the market you need to, “Buy low and sell high.”
Well today, I'm going to shatter that conventional wisdom and introduce you to one investor who managed to master the art of “buy high and sell higher”. And in doing so, become one of the world's greatest investors.
It was so effective, that his stock recommendation publication returned... ››› more
- [08 May 2017]
- Why I'm not hot on the South African retail sector
- The Foschini Group is down 10.54% in the last month, Mr Price 10.40%, Truworths 6.33%.
And Lewis crashed a whopping 16.70%.
If you're invested in retail, it's been a bad month for you.
But before you start buying into the sector because it ‘shows value' I want to warn you…
South African retail sales are dropping and you need to watch out for the fallout
In its m... ››› more
- [26 April 2017]
Watch And Learn