- Moving swiftly along - Three to buy
- A week of heightened protests has ended and the ANC Cadre are holding the fort, for now. Their confidence masks the growing dissension from all sides, including members of its own party, eventually pressure will come to bear.
Fitch followed S&P in downgrading SA, but again the reaction was relatively muted. Clearly the market had been preparing for this eventuality. Of more concern is that som... ››› more
- [11 April 2017]
- The one number that matters when it comes to share price direction
- Today I'm going to explain why you don't ALWAYS need to follow…
Hot tips in the media
to know where share prices will go.
In fact, you only need to know one number to see if a company's shares will go up or down. And the best part, every investor can use it!
Although successful investors like Warren Buffett, Peter Lynch and John Temp... ››› more
- [10 April 2017]
- Cabinet reshuffle announced - Two to buy and one to sell
- Admittedly, I expected more movement in the Rand once the cabinet reshuffle was announced. We have a saying that “the Market always knows” which seems to apply in this case.
When Mr. Nene was removed, the Rand fell 8,5% within the first few days and then extended those losses by another 10% a few weeks later. By comparison the Rand has loss only 7% so far, perhaps the Market knew that SA I... ››› more
- [06 April 2017]
- Why companies that demonstrate a “Value Chain” are more likely to generate you big profits
- Have you ever heard of the “Value Chain”?
Well, it's an old concept developed in the early 1980s by Harvard Professor Michael Porter.
Porter spent much of his career devoted to analysing competitive strategies.
In his 1985 best-seller book, "Competitive Advantage”, Porter discussed the power of the “Value Chain” and why companies that get this concept right are more likely to... ››› more
- [03 April 2017]
- A simple strategy to beat fund managers at their own game
- Right now, there are just north of 400 shares on the JSE.
Of these shares, investment funds only invest in the top 40, and perhaps the top 100… Only 161 shares are on the JSE All-Share index…
If you invest in a fund you're most likely investing in the JSE's Top 40 Index. Unit trusts simply don't deviate from the index too far, because that's the only way they can match the index perfor... ››› more
- [29 March 2017]
- Choppy waters ahead? - Two to buy and one to sell
- The news yesterday that several ministers have been recalled to SA has created some consternation; the Rand jolted back 3%. There is speculation of a cabinet reshuffle and/or further legal developments relating to the impasse between Treasury, Banks, and the Gupta's…...
The new Mining Charter is expected to be released this week. And the market is bracing itself for new challenges. This just... ››› more
- [28 March 2017]
- The latest Interest Rate cycle that could end in financial disaster
- Have you ever heard of the saying, “Those who do not remember the past, are condemned to repeat it?”
Well, humans can learn valuable lessons by looking back at historical events, but choose not to.
And in many cases, we tend to repeat history and make the same mistakes.
Think about how many financial decisions we've made that ended up in economic disaster.
For example, the deci... ››› more
- [27 March 2017]
- "Triple Witching" stirs local market rally- Two to buy and two to sell
- “Triple Witching” refers to the combined expiration of the Index futures, Index options and stock options. In the UK and US this happens on Friday's, but in SA it happens a day earlier on Thursday. The event typically creates increased market activity and in some cases volatility.
Global markets were relatively subdued for last week's expiry, the US, UK and European majors were firmer by b... ››› more
- [21 March 2017]
- Why every investor needs this exit strategy
- When you buy a stock and it doubles, what do you do?
Many investors would sell, feeling like they've made a good profit. Then, they sit on the sidelines and watch as their stock goes higher and higher - cursing that they've sold too soon.
Founder of Agora Publishing, Bill Bonner gives a great example of this:
Financial writer Richard Russell of the Dow Theory Letters invested in Warren... ››› more
- [20 March 2017]
- Receive dollar-based performance through structured products
- Since my last article on the subject of structured products I have received a number of enquiries from readers asking for more information. Due to the overwhelming response I decided to do this follow-up article and go over the most frequently asked questions.
First, for those who may not have read the original, here is a brief recap. I discussed a currently available structured product with ... ››› more
- [17 March 2017]
- The cure for investor insanity
- The great Albert Einstein once defined insanity as “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
I'm sure on a personal level, you've experienced this insanity.
The fact is, we continually make the same mistakes in all areas of life. And when it comes to investing, this is especially true.
That's why today I'm going to explain the two most common inves... ››› more
- [17 March 2017]
- Commodities take a step lower - Three to buy and one to sell
- Commodities take a step lower
Brent oil led the commodity basket lower last week, losing 8,1%; Platinum and Gold were down 5,7% and 2,4% respectively.
Although the Rand softened, the pressure was too much for the JSE All Share Index which fell 0,8%. Resources fell 5,5%, but the rest of the sectors held up well.
International indices were slightly softer across most time zone... ››› more
- [16 March 2017]
- Four “must knows” before you invest in a single share
- The biggest lie you'll ever hear in the stock market is that: “As a private investor you're not smart enough, and you lack the information to invest and make money on the stock market.”
It's a lie presented by fund managers, personal financial advisers and media analysts alike.
Obviously, they don't say it quite like this, but it's what they mean.
The essence behind their big lie i... ››› more
- [16 March 2017]
- US interest rates, Three to buy and one to sell
- US interest rates on the rise.
Fed Chair Janet Yellen provided testimony last week indicating a high likelihood of another US interest rate hike in March. The markets are now pricing in a 0,25% hike. The US dollar is strengthening again.
Local markets were flat over the week. The All Share squeezed out a gain of 0,1%, Resources were similar and Industrials down marginally (0,5%), Fin... ››› more
- [16 March 2017]
- Putting a few eggs in other baskets is easier than you think
- Imagine a country with massive amounts of natural resources.
The richest economy in its region.
However, there are signs of trouble, including rising inequality and societal unrest.
To combat this the government is turning to populism by taxing the rich, confiscating assets and dramatically increasing the redistribution of funds to the poor.
This is not South Africa in 2017 I am t... ››› more
- [16 March 2017]
Watch And Learn