- The company watch list: AVI Limited - A combination of value and growth
- AVI is a South African based company, listed on the JSE in the Food Products sector, and is centered on the FMCG market.
AVI's extensive brand portfolio includes more than 50 brands. The Group comprises of trading subsidiaries that manufacture, process, market & distribute branded consumer products.
AVI brands span across a range of categories including: hot beverages, sweet and savory bis... ››› more
- [26 January 2017]
- Movers of the Week - Plus 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- Trump in the White House - America First!
As President Trump was being inaugurated the markets appeared to be waiting for direction. The JSE closed slightly lower, down 0,6% and the major developed markets were little changed if not slightly softer. Currency and Commodity also appear to be in a holding pattern.
Trump's speech was direct and unambiguous, watch-out as America puts its foot... ››› more
- [24 January 2017]
- How to shield your portfolio against this one type of risk
- No one can accurately predict where the markets will go in 2017.
The fact is, the markets become volatile in times of uncertainty.
And when the markets become volatile, there's a good chance your investments could decrease in value. This is simply known as market risk.
The main causes of market risk are recessions, political turmoil, natural disasters and terrorist attacks. Or even sm... ››› more
- [23 January 2017]
- The switch you've all been waiting for…
- Last week, we discussed how through one simple switch we managed to save our clients a cumulative 71% in 2016.
But this year we're going to try and do it again. So let's compare the investment cases of The Foschini Group (TFG) and Woolworths (WHL).
These companies share similarities in that they're both involved in apparel retailing in South Africa but have very different strategies when i... ››› more
- [19 January 2017]
- The one industry I'm most excited about for 2017…
- As I predicted last year, 2016 was a year of consolidation. Our market went nowhere. But shares are much cheaper today than they were a year ago.
And that makes me optimistic about 2017.
But there's one industry in particular that I've got my eyes on.
It was arguably the worst sector for 2016.
One of the worst droughts in decades hit South Africa. Farmers lost crop... ››› more
- [18 January 2017]
- JSE up 3.6%, The All Share is up 5% - are these signs of a great year ahead?
- The JSE was up 3,6% last week, adding to gains from the week before. The All Share index is now up 5% in two weeks, Resources 8,2%, Industrials 4,6% and Financials up 1,3%.
January is known to be a month with larger moves than normal, double digit figures are quite common. Watch out for the reversal in February. 2016 was a case in point…
Commodity Prices were firm with good gains from Pla... ››› more
- [17 January 2017]
- How minimum investing IS NOT the same as low cost investing
- Do you know the difference between minimum investing and low-cost investing?
Well, most investors would usually say they're the same thing. But this is far from the truth.
Low-cost investing deals with the investments associated with investing your money, while minimum investing implies the least amount of money you can invest.
In fact, failure to understand this can actually lead to... ››› more
- [16 January 2017]
- Which will be the top retail pick in 2017?
- Happy new year everyone, I hope you all had a good break and did tons of holiday shopping for your friends and family!
Why? Because yesterday marked the beginning of the retail reporting season. And, in the next couple of weeks we're going to see just how much South African's spent at the shops in December.
There is no doubt the market is expecting a super tough Xmas period for the beleag... ››› more
- [12 January 2017]
- The Year that was - The biggest winner of 2016 was the Rand!
- 2016 has been a year many will quickly forget, but for the shock results of the Brexit vote and the US elections; it was a year where many cans were kicked down the road.
Global growth remained benign and potential silver-linings have yet to gain material traction because of lingering uncertainties such as the future US foreign policy, the tensions in South East Asia, lingering debt problems i... ››› more
- [11 January 2017]
- If you make one investing New Year's resolution, make it this…
- Consider this…
From 2013 to 2015, South Africa's listed property sector has achieved a 17% annual average return.
Over the same period, that's:
Five times more than what SA bonds returned
Three times more than what SA cash returned
3% better return than what SA equities has achieved
But the many investors who allocated a large portion of their wealth into listed property in 201... ››› more
- [11 January 2017]
- Palladium: The precious metal nobody is talking about but should be
- At times like this, gold and silver typically grab all the attention... And attract all the "safe" money. But there's another metal that could blast past both of these. That's because it has unique physical properties for which there is just no substitute - something its biggest consumers lose quite a bit of sleep over. It's 15 times more rare than platinum... and 30 times more rare than gold. Rea... ››› more
- [06 January 2017]
- Cash in as Nigeria becomes Africa's next big investment hotspot
- Forget South Africa, Nigeria is growing at such a fast rate, in fact, economists expect Nigeria to overtake SA and become Africa's biggest economy. Don't wait for that to happen before you invest in Nigeria. Here's a home-grown smart investment you can make today…
“Economists expect Nigeria, already the continent's most populous nation and largest oil producer, to overtake South Africa ... ››› more
- [04 January 2017]
- Five things to consider when purchasing your next property
- When you first decide to invest in a property the excitement pumps you up. Your heart starts racing, you already see the cash rolling in…
But before your ambitions run away with your good judgement you should take a step back and evaluate whether the property you're looking to invest in will provide you with growth - or is it a cash-trap that'll suck your wallet dry.
What to look for in ... ››› more
- [15 December 2016]
- How I use “Poisson Distribution” to successfully predict winning soccer outcomes
- Every weekend myself and a couple of mates from work head over to our local sports bar, where we catch the lunch time Barclays Premier League game that day.
The afternoon always starts out the same, with great debate and the odd bet or two.
The most common friendly bet we place is the goal outcome for that game. But, here's something they don't know I have.
It's helped me with the goal ou... ››› more
- [13 December 2016]
- Good news…All main exchanges are on the up!
- JSE up 3,3%
Last week the JSE recovered from an oversold position to close the week with a gain of 3,3%. Financials gained 4,8% and Industrials were up 3,7%. Resources managed a gain of 1,5%.
DAX up 6,6%, CAC up 5.2%.
European markets breathed a sigh of relief as the Italian referendum failed, the Dax gained 6,6% and the CAC 5,2%. Italy was up 7,3% and Spain put in 6,5%
US Markets... ››› more
- [13 December 2016]
Watch And Learn