- Why it pays to opt for shorter-term bonds when you buy a property
- Buying a property is likely to be the largest financial purchase you'll ever make. So it pays to make the right decision when it comes to getting a bond for your property.
One of the things you'll need to decide before deciding on your bond is the term to take it over. Do you opt for 20-years, 25-years or 30-years?
Don't let the idea that you're saving money on monthly repayments by opting f... ››› more
- [08 January 2015]
- Investing in property: Your four-step guide to renting out your holiday home
- Buying a holiday home is a great way to invest in property.
You can enjoy having the property to escape to. And when you're not using it, you can rent it out and earn an income from it.
But before you jump it, what should you do if you want to rent out your holiday home?
Read on to find out…
Renting out your holiday home can provide you with a decent secondary income
If you wan... ››› more
- [07 January 2015]
- Want to diversify your property investments? The UK commercial property sector is booming and looks good for more
- Commercial property in the UK performed well through 2014. The sector returned over 15% last year.
With the British economy recovering, there are signs that investment in commercial property will continue to do well.
So are there still opportunities for gains in the sector after such a good run? And if so, where should you focus?
Read on to find out…
UK commercial property has per... ››› more
- [02 January 2015]
- Thinking about buying a holiday home overseas? Make sure you check out these four crucial tips first…
- With the holiday season upon us, you may be jetting off on holiday. And this may lead you to think about buying a holiday home overseas.
Before you commit, it's vital you understand the risks.
A holiday home can be a great investment. But it can also end up costing you far more than you realise and there's the risk of losing your entire investment.
So what should you watch out for?
Rea... ››› more
- [19 December 2014]
- Two opportunities to profit from property in 2015
- According to the 2013 population census, there were roughly 52.98 million people living in South Africa. The estimated population growth rate is 1.5% per year.
This means there's a lot of people in need of different types of housing. So, we can be certain that demand for property will always exist.
Despite economic setbacks and interest rates hikes, the property market will always give you ... ››› more
- [10 December 2014]
- How to become a successful property investor
- What does it take to become successful in the property investing field? What are the prerequisites for property investment success?
Successful property investors are more than a little savvy. They share the following characteristics.
1. They have in-depth market knowledge
In order to predict changes and be prepared for the unexpected, successful property investors put a lot of time and... ››› more
- [09 December 2014]
- Want to give your child a helping hand onto the property ladder? Here are your options…
- With high property prices and the cost of living on the rise, the prospect of your children buying their first home may seem like a pipe dream.
So what if you were in a financial position to help them take their first step onto the property ladder? What are the options?
Let's take a closer look…
Three ways you can help your child buy a property
#1: Speak to your bank about becom... ››› more
- [08 December 2014]
- Why REITs should form part of your long-term investment portfolio
- If you have a long-term investment portfolio, property should form part of it.
But investing in property doesn't mean buying property yourself. There's a much easier way to do it. You can invest in real estate investment trusts (REITs).
So why should you invest in property through REITs?
Let's take a closer look…
Why invest in REITs
Chances are you’re looking for a quality as... ››› more
- [04 December 2014]
- Things to ponder upon before investing in property
- Any type of investment is a gamble, but property investment can also be suited to the risk-averse investors.
Before you invest in rental property, there are certain things you should consider, such as the following.
1. The expected rental property income
The bottom line is this: how much do you expect to earn from renting the property? This should be the motivating factor behind your de... ››› more
- [03 December 2014]
- How I made R75,000 from property in a single morning using other people's money!
- Whenever I speak to investors I hear “The property market is dead” or “Property is so expensive, there are no good deals out there”.
I recently read an article about a financial advisor who was telling investors they're looking at single digit yields if they invest in property. The article went on to tell them that the stock market is the ONLY place they should be investing.
That's ... ››› more
- [21 November 2014]
- The hidden costs of home ownership
- Becoming a homeowner is a big step to take, so it's important to understand what exactly it entails. The costs that come with home ownership can make you think twice before signing the agreement.
Before committing yourself to owning a home, you should find out exactly what the hidden costs are.
Here are the most common costs that you must cover when you decide to buy property.
Property ta... ››› more
- [04 November 2014]
- Ignore at your peril: Four new legal requirements you have to apply when leasing your property
- The rental housing amendment bill has been tabled in front of the national assembly and passed. Now all that's needed is the passing of a resolution and for the president to sign it.
And as soon as that happens you, as a landlord, will have six months to comply with the bill or you could be held criminally liable according to the act - with up to two years jail time!
That's why you need to m... ››› more
- [03 November 2014]
- How to maximise your property investment
- Investing in real estate is a wise option for building wealth, but you need to determine how to maximise your investment to reap the full benefits.
One of the first things to consider when investing in real estate is to choose a property in a very good area, even if it requires a lot of repair work. You want to take advantage of sought-after neighborhoods because the area will be a key factor i... ››› more
- [31 October 2014]
- Nedbank says this year's interest rate hikes are already hitting homeowners… Here's how you can check how much you'll pay if rates rise again
- This year, after several years of holding interest rates at historic rates, the South African Reserve Bank hiked rates 0.75%.
If you're a homeowner, unless you have a fixed-rate bond, this means your monthly repayments have gone up.
Nedbank says it's already seeing homeowners struggling with the interest rate hikes so far. So how much more can you expect to pay if rates go up in the future?
... ››› more
- [31 October 2014]
- Is property co-ownership right for you?
- When you're dying to become a home owner but can't afford to using your own finances, co-ownership may seem like a chance to make your dream come true. But is co-ownership right for you?
To determine whether you should become a property co-owner, you must consult a solicitor and take into account various factors, taking into account the disadvantages of this type of ownership.
When you co-o... ››› more
- [30 October 2014]
Watch And Learn