- Here's what no-one told you about low-cost RA's…
- A week ago I was nearly convinced low-cost RA's are the way to go. I read a well written article on the web, promoting the virtues of low-cost RA's.
The article uses the following example:
Someone has saved R3 000 every month for 40 years into a retirement annuity (RA), and earns a return of 6.5% above inflation.
If you pay an investment fee of 3% you'd end up with R3 million at the end ... ››› more
- [25 January 2017]
- Eight reasons you won't have enough to retire - Here's what you need to do right now!
- You won't have enough money to retire.
I know I sound like the harbinger of doom, but it's a reality that you and most South Africans need to face up to.
Now you might be asking, why am I saying this about you? Well, I am only looking at the statistics.
The Financial Planning Institute of South Africa says less than a quarter of South Africans can afford to retire. If you think that's ... ››› more
- [11 August 2016]
- With the cost of living increasing and people living longer - Have you planned for your retirement?
- According to biomedical gerontologist, Dr Aubrey De Grey, the next person to live to the ripe old age of 150 has already been born.
What if that's you?
What if you live till 80 or 100? Will you have enough money to last you that long after you retire?
Ten or twenty years ago, collecting your last paycheque at the age of 65 was a reasonable expectation. But as life expectancy and the co... ››› more
- [21 June 2016]
- How to avoid the 20 most common retirement planning mistakes
- There are so many things you need to consider when planning for your retirement.
Of course, there's the obvious retirement planning concerns, like how much you earn and how much debt you have but there are other factors that could leave you scrambling around trying desperately to build up your retirement savings.
To help you prepare for your retirement, I've found 20 of the most common ret... ››› more
- [02 June 2016]
- The “do it yourself” retirement plan - Beat the market and save R1,198,087 in fees
- For decades, retirement investors handed over control of their finances to someone else to squeeze as much as they can out of their retirement annuities (RA). If you're doing that, then you know it means accepting mediocre returns and paying high management fees.
But there's a little-known ‘new generation' RA that lets you customise your investments. In fact, you now have full control over ... ››› more
- [24 May 2016]
- Two pitfalls that most retirees never see coming
- Have you ever asked yourself, “Will you live as well as your parents did when you retire?”
That's a question thousands of South Africans ask themselves everyday when they reach retirement. The sad truth is, the answer is probably always, “No, I won't”
And, it's no surprise...
You know the statistics that say, only a quarter of South Africans will retire comfortably. The rest wi... ››› more
- [23 May 2016]
- How to set up your very own DIY retirement fund
- If you know just a few simple tricks you can take control of your own retirement back from your financial advisor - and save a small fortune in fees at the same time. Today, Aiden Sookdin speaks to the experts and explains exactly how to set up your own fool-proof retirement savings plan - DIY style. It's a lot easier than you may think. Just follow this simple four-step plan and you'll be well on... ››› more
- [17 May 2016]
- What my mother taught me about retiring wealthy
- I probably learned more from my mother's retirement experience than anyone else's. When she retired, she wanted security, lived austerely, but had no idea whatsoever of enhancing value.
And therein lay the disaster. My mother sold her home, moved into a seemingly more secure rented complex, and placed all financial resources into a low interest bearing building society account in an extremely h... ››› more
- [09 May 2016]
- Boost your retirement investment income the low risk way
- So, you think that during retirement you can rely on your investment income to keep you going. Well, what if you find yourself dipping into your actual investment capital to make ends meet?
The danger is, each time you take cash from your investments, there's less capital invested to generate income.
That's why today, I want to show you how an ultra-low risk investment to help you generate... ››› more
- [06 May 2016]
- Make sure you've packed your “retirement parachute” before it's too late
- Every day I meet new people who continuously worry about the markets trampling on their investments. People feel anxious that investing won't give them enough to survive.
You see, retirement plays on most people's minds. And in today's times, the sad thing is, a retirement annuity isn't enough to retire comfortably and support your family.
What it really comes down to is answering these two ... ››› more
- [18 March 2016]
- The number 1 way to protect and grow your retirement nest egg
- One of the keys to successful income investing is proper asset allocation, how you balance your portfolio among stocks, bonds, cash, real estate, commodities, gold, and other investments. And asset allocation is not just for your investment portfolio. The can apply the same strategy to your retirement nest egg. Read on to discover the number one way to protect and grow your retirement nest egg… ... ››› more
- [07 March 2016]
- Planning for your retirement? Here's what a retirement annuity offers you…
- Planning for retirement isn't an easy thing to do. There are so many choices about how you can save and invest for your future.
One option you have is to contribute to a retirement annuity.
So what exactly is a retirement annuity? And how do they work?
Read on to find out more…
What is a retirement annuity?
A retirement annuity is a way to save for your retirement.
You can... ››› more
- [27 January 2016]
- Book review: Start Poor, Retire Rich
- If you're anything like me, not having enough money for retirement is something you worry about.
I feel I'm running out of time and don't have enough put aside so that I can look forward to a comfortable retirement.
So in searching for a way to ensure that I have enough put away for my later years, I came across a book called Start Poor, Retire Rich.
From reading this book, I feel I know ... ››› more
- [27 January 2016]
- How to prepare for retirement
- When you retire, you want to be in a financially secure position.
This means taking the time now to plan and ensure that you stick to specific retirement planning goals so you achieve this end goal.
Read on to find out more…
What you need to do before you hit retirement
You need to take steps now to ensure that retirement isn’t a time when you’re worrying about money. To do th... ››› more
- [21 December 2015]
- Don't make this mistake when you retire
- One mistake you should avoid making when you retire is to give up your active income. Active income is money you earn through working or from a business you own.
You shouldn't confuse it with passive income. This is money you receive from an annuity or pension.
So why should you not give up your active income?
Read on to find out more…
The pitfalls of giving up your active income ... ››› more
- [29 October 2015]
Watch And Learn