- Five things to do before retirement
- Is retirement knocking at your door? If you have only a few years or months to go until retirement, you should take care of certain issues first.
Here are five things you should do before you retire.
1. Determine how much money you will need each month
You may a rough idea of how much money you spend each month, but it’s time to get a more accurate view of your expenses. Determine a re... ››› more
- [17 November 2014]
- Pre-retirement issues to consider
- Are you starting the countdown to retirement? Then you've got some serious planning to attend to.
Planning for retirement is an important part adult life. Before you enter the golden age, make sure you consider the following pre-retirement issues.
1. Pay off your debts
Going into retirement with credit card debt, car loans, or mortgages can seriously affect your budget. Make it a priori... ››› more
- [14 November 2014]
- Excuses that keep you from saving for retirement
- Are you knowingly neglecting saving for retirement? Do you often feel guilty about it, but your behavior remains the same?
If you find yourself with almost no retirement savings whatsoever and feel that time is not on your side, then it's time to analyze your behavior and stop the excuses that are keeping you from saving.
How do you justify your lack of effort? You may find that the followin... ››› more
- [11 November 2014]
- Retirement catch-up strategies for people over 50
- You've made it well into your 50s and you're generally satisfied with your life, except for one small part: your retirement savings are almost insignificant.
What can you do to quickly catch up on your savings and make up for the lost time? Although you may have to stretch your limits, you can still manage to save enough.
Here is how.
Selling your home and moving to a small... ››› more
- [06 November 2014]
- Three crucial retirement mistakes to avoid
- Retirement is a process that requires adequate planning. For many, retirement planning is not a priority, especially not in their younger years. But failure to plan ahead and, more importantly, save enough for retirement can cost you dearly.
Soon-to-be retirees cannot afford to make any mistakes when it comes to planning for their future since time is not on their side.
To avoid feeling overw... ››› more
- [04 November 2014]
- Retirement savings: What to do if you're running out of time
- You know what they say: the sooner you start saving for retirement, the better off you will be in your golden years.
What happens when you feel like you are running out of time when it comes to saving for retirement?
When time is not on your side, you have to take immediate action.
You may need to rethink your entire retirement planning. For instance, if you had planned on retiring at ag... ››› more
- [31 October 2014]
- How to save money in retirement
- When you reach retirement, saving is not a priority anymore. After all, that's what you've been doing until now, right? Why should you be required to save more?
By the time you retire, you should have a clear picture of your spending habits and how much you can afford to save each month. This will help you establish a budget and spend less during retirement.
What happens if you can’t live c... ››› more
- [29 October 2014]
- Are you saving enough for retirement?
- How do you know if you're saving enough for retirement? That's a tough question to answer. Because no one can tell you how much you need to save - it largerly depends on your lifestyle, current income, and on your future plans for retirement.
One thing is for sure: most people postpone saving for retirement, thinking they will have plenty of time to save later, and instead focus on living well ... ››› more
- [23 October 2014]
- What does retirement really mean to you?
- Retirement means different things to different people. Some people can't wait for retirement, seeing it as a period of intense relaxation and enjoyment, while others dread the thought of it because they don't know how they're going to manage to save enough money.
Although we all have different views on retirement, this period can be one of the most beautiful periods of our lives, if we plan ahe... ››› more
- [22 October 2014]
- How to survive retirement in tough economic times
- We can discuss retirement planning for hours, yet we still fail when it comes to taking action. The problem isn't that we don't know how to plan for retirement - but that we don't take the required action.
In tough economic times, retirement planning can become even more of a challenge. You need to be even more vigilant and come up with a solid strategy in order to increase your retirement savi... ››› more
- [20 October 2014]
- The one question you need to ask yourself with 12 years to retirement
- I recently sat down with a family friend, W, that's nearing retirement. He has 12 years to go.
W will pay off his house by the end of this year.
Both his and his wife's cars are paid off.
But W doesn't have ANY provision made for retirement.
As we sat and discussed his options I realised W had to ask himself ONE question before we could continue - and this question would turn out to a R1... ››› more
- [20 October 2014]
- Why you should consolidate your retirement accounts
- Are you considering consolidating your retirement accounts but don't know why you should do it?
You can consolidate retirement accounts and transfer the money from several accounts into a single account in order to save time, energy, and stay organized and on top of your finances.
Here are a few reasons why you should consolidate your retirement accounts.
You pay less in fees
It’... ››› more
- [16 October 2014]
- Retirement mistakes that cost you dearly
- Retirement planning is a process that should be started as early as possible. Hiring or consulting a financial planner is often a good idea, because a professional can help you avoid certain costly mistakes.
Since you have decades to plan for retirement, you have enough time to prevent certain mistakes that may cost you dearly down the road.
Here are some of the most common retirement mistak... ››› more
- [15 October 2014]
- How to survive retirement and stretch out your savings
- When you've only got a few years to go until retirement, every rand counts. Your main priority should be to increase those retirement savings.
What is unfortunate is that most retirees run out of money ahead of time, especially if they keep their preretirement lifestyles.
The best way to survive retirement without running out of money is learning how to stretch out your savings and how to m... ››› more
- [14 October 2014]
- Five things to consider before relocating in retirement
- Are you considering relocating after you retire? Many soon-to-be retirees consider this option, either because they want to live on less, either because they want to change the scenery.
Before you make such an important decision, however, you must carefully assess all the pros and cons of relocating. Maybe you haven't taken all aspects into consideration, so it's time you should.
Here are fiv... ››› more
- [09 October 2014]
Watch And Learn