- 4 steps to a happy retirement
- To be happy and financially carefree in your retirement years, you need to carefully plan ahead, invest, and make smart choices.
The retirement years can be the happiest of your life if you have a reasonable income to live comfortably. That's why it's so important to start saving for your retirement while young and to not rely solely on company pension plans.
Since many soon-t-be-retirees a... ››› more
- [09 July 2014]
- How to overcome one of the biggest issues facing your retirement nest egg
- Saving for your retirement is no easy task. Yes the earlier you start, the better your chance of having a more comfortable retirement. But problems will still remain.
To achieve a comfortable retirement, you need to save a lot of money. And you need to see your savings grow above the rate of inflation. Otherwise they're just wasting away.
So how can you achieve this? And how can you do this ... ››› more
- [07 July 2014]
- One way to insure your retirement investments against a market crash
- After a rocky start at the beginning of the year, the market has continued to climb. Again the Johannesburg Stock Exchange has been hitting new highs. Could a correction of say 10% to 20% be around the corner? It's always a possibility. So it's crucial to protect your investments, especially those you have earmarked for your retirement. And the closer you are to retirement age, the even more cruci... ››› more
- [30 June 2014]
- Retirement planning: The pros and cons of buying an annuity
- Once you reach retirement age, you'll most likely have a couple of options to make about your future. Like many people, you may opt to buy an annuity with your pension pot. At first glance you might not think you're getting a lot for your money, but there are some benefits to opting for an annuity. Let's take a closer look at the pros and cons…
The income from an annuity
Over the years, annu... ››› more
- [24 June 2014]
- Preparing for retirement: What type of annuity is for you?
- It appears that nothing about preparing for retirement is easy. But as with most important things in life, it's all comes down to the planning. If you've decided you're going to buy an annuity with your retirement savings, what are your options? There are a wide array of annuities to pick from. Let's take a closer look at five of the most popular…
Annuity #1: A level annuity
This is the most... ››› more
- [23 June 2014]
- Investing for retirement: How to build a strong income portfolio
- Arguably, one of the best ways to prepare for retirement is to have a few different means at your disposal. This gives you some diversification and reduces your risks if something untoward was to happen to one of your plans. For instance, you may have a retirement annuity, a pension scheme through your job and a bumper savings account. And if you haven't thought about it before, you can put some m... ››› more
- [20 June 2014]
- Two steps to kick start the financial planning process for your retirement
- You probably have a good idea of what you'd like to do once you retire. Perhaps you want to travel. Maybe spend more time with your family. Or perhaps get that fruit and vegetable garden really going. But have you thought about how you're going to get there? More importantly, have you financially planned to get there? Read on to find out what you need to do to get started…
Retirement planning... ››› more
- [18 June 2014]
- Fitch just hurt South Africa's ego, don't let it hurt your retirement
- Last week, ratings agency Fitch, downgraded its outlook on South Africa from stable to negative. It's reasoning… A poor economic outlook and rising consumer debt.
Now these ratings agencies can be used as a gauge to tell what the rest of the world thinks about investing in South Africa. And when they downgrade their outlook, it sends a poor message to the rest of the world and bruises South A... ››› more
- [17 June 2014]
- Three ways to ensure you pick the perfect RA for you
- Retirement annuities (RAs) are popular saving vehicles for retirement. But do you know there is a newer generation of RA that uses unit trusts to invest in? It doesn't need a policy like the older style, works out cheaper and is much more transparent. So how can you weigh up which RA is best for you? Ask yourself the following questions…
Question #1: Are there any penalties if you change your... ››› more
- [11 June 2014]
- Should you have exposure to Bitcoin in your retirement pot?
- It shouldn't be long until the first Bitcoin exchange traded fund (ETF), the Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust, launches in the US. So have you thought about adding some Bitcoin flavour to your retirement fund? This might sound a crazy idea, but many retirement experts advocate up to 10% of your pot in alternative investments. So you could opt for some Bitcoin exposure. Let's take a closer look at whether ... ››› more
- [10 June 2014]
- Five things you must do to ensure your retirement planning is on track
- Retirement planning is a bit of a minefield. If you're saving on a monthly basis to your retirement fund, is it enough? How can you retire earlier than you planned? And how can you avoid the biggest mistake you can make when you retire? To find out and discover what else you should be checking when it comes to your retirement planning, keep reading…
The importance of checking your retirement ... ››› more
- [09 June 2014]
- Investing for retirement: When to buy the best dividend paying shares
- Investing in dividend paying shares is one way to produce an income stream when you retire. You can buy the shares and, until you need the dividends for income, keep reinvesting. You can just sit back and watch your holding grow. But you shouldn't just rush out and buy these shares at any price. The price you pay will have a bearing on your return from the dividends. Let's take a closer look…
... ››› more
- [09 June 2014]
- If you have children you must read this… It'll change their lives
- When I was still only a kid at school my dad one day sat down and had a talk with me about savings. You know, the whole “put some money in the bank every year and save for a rainy day” speech.
Miraculously a bit of that got stuck in my mind and today I'm really grateful for it.
You see, without even knowing it the principle he taught me could put an extra R1,064,479 in my pocket by the d... ››› more
- [09 June 2014]
- Six tips to help you achieve a comfortable retirement
- When it comes to planning your retirement, you want to have a comfortable one. Unfortunately not everyone can achieve this. So what can you do to stack the odds in your favour so you can have a more comfortable retirement? Let's take a closer look…
A comfortable retirement all comes down to the planning
Retirees who achieve a very comfortable retirement are not necessarily the people who had... ››› more
- [04 June 2014]
- How to check you're saving enough for retirement
- Ensuring that you start saving early for your retirement is the best course of action. But if like many people, you haven't put enough aside earlier in your life, how can you check you'll have what you need? Let's take a closer look at how you can do this…
How much more do you need to save for your retirement?
There are a number of factors to take into consideration to check how much you nee... ››› more
- [19 May 2014]
Watch And Learn