- How to pour the perfect glass of wine every time, drip-free
- Pouring a glass of wine without dripping is a particularly troublesome issue if you're pouring red wine and there's a white tablecloth to contend with. It can be especially nerve-wrecking when you have a table full of guests to serve.
The good news is, there are a couple of things you can do to ensure you pour every glass drip-free.
Read on to find out what you need to do…
Before you... ››› more
- [11 December 2014]
- South African white wines are starting to gain traction overseas… Here's your step-by-step guide to SA's three top whites
- Living in South Africa, we have an array of fabulous wines produced right on our doorstep.
And our white wines are getting a lot of attention overseas right now.
If white wine is your preferred tipple, there are three different varieties that are renowned the world over.
Read on to uncover the ins and outs of these sought-after South African white wines…
Chenin Blanc is creating... ››› more
- [04 December 2014]
- How to savour and rate a wine's aroma
- Once you've given a wine the once over with your eyes, you need to give it a good sniff.
This is an integral part of evaluating a wine and you should do this before you get stuck in with the tasting part.
But how do you go about doing it? And what are you looking for?
Read on to find out…
Here’s how to begin weighing up the aroma of a wine
The first thing to do is swirl the w... ››› more
- [27 November 2014]
- Four ways to size up a wine before tasting a drop
- If you're attending a wine tasting or just want to get into the wine connoisseur spirit, before you even smell or taste a wine, you need to give it the once over.
Yes, I'm talking about LOOKING at it. And when you do, there are four key things you should look for when evaluating a wine.
Read on to find out what these are…
Here’s how to gauge a wine with your eyes
You can tell a ... ››› more
- [20 November 2014]
- Use these five tips to keep your crystal wine glasses in pristine condition
- If you enjoy a glass of fine wine, then the perfect accompaniment is a top quality glass to drink it from.
When it comes to fine glassware, you can't go wrong with a crystal wine glass. But crystal is prone to staining and even absorbing the smell of the wine.
So how can you ensure your crystal glassware stays in optimum condition over the long haul?
Read on to find out…
Why you n... ››› more
- [13 November 2014]
- You love wine, but is it a worthwhile investment option?
- If you enjoy a glass of fine wine, learning more about it and collecting it, investing in wine may seem a good option.
Not only could you combine your love of wine, but you could potentially make money from it too.
But is it something you should seriously consider?
Let's take a closer look…
How much will investing in wine cost?
If you’re serious about investing in wine, only... ››› more
- [06 November 2014]
- Are you clinking wine glasses the right way? Here's how to do it “properly”
- Chances are even as a toddler you were clinking your plastic tea cups. As you've grown up over the years, a wine glass has replaced your plastic tea cup.
But did you know there's actually a correct way to clink wine glasses? And that doing it wrong can have embarrassing consequences?
So are you clinking wine glasses right?
Read on to find out…
The ‘wrong’ way to clink wine gla... ››› more
- [30 October 2014]
- You don't have to go far to get your hands on a great bottle of red in South Africa… Here's your guide to SA's top reds
- South African wines are renowned the world over. Over the last decade or so, our wines have really taken off overseas.
And if you prefer a glass of red, these are plenty of wines on your doorstep to explore.
Which should you choose?
Let's take a closer look at the top red South African wines…
The four top red South African wines are…
South African red wine #1: Cabernet Sauv... ››› more
- [23 October 2014]
- Picking a new bottle of wine off the shelf? Here's what to look for on its label
- If you're at the bottle store, it can be a daunting experience looking at all the wine bottles lined up on the shelves.
So how can you make a good selection? You're at the mercy of what's on the label.
Here's what you should look at…
Look at the vintage of the wine
The vintage is one of the first things you should look at when you’re looking to try a new bottle of wine. The vast... ››› more
- [16 October 2014]
- Does opening a bottle of bubbly fill you with dread? Here's how to open a bottle of champagne perfectly every time…
- Whether it's to mark a celebration or for a treat, it's hard to beat a glass of crisp, bubble-filled champagne.
But when it comes to opening the bottle, are you inclined to get someone else to do it? Do you worry the cork will do damage as it propels out the bottle? Or are you scared you're going to waste half the bottle in the opening process?
Well fear not. Opening a bottle of champagne is... ››› more
- [09 October 2014]
- Has one of your bottles of wine got sediment floating about in it? Here are two ways to remove it…
- Contrary to popular belief, sediment isn't just a problem for red wines, it happens with white wines too. It's down to a wine maker deciding not to filter the wine to add to its flavour.
So if you have a wine that's got sediment in it, what exactly is in the sediment? And what can you do to remove it?
Let's take a closer look…
What’s in wine sediment?
As much as a wine maker’... ››› more
- [02 October 2014]
- Not sure what temperature to serve a sparkling wine or a full-bodied red? Here's what you need to do to ensure the perfect glass whatever the wine…
- Serving a particular wine at the optimum temperature is a crucial aspect to getting the best out of its flavour and aroma.
It's surprising how much the temperature you serve a wine at has on its taste.
So what's the best temperature to serve wine at?
Let's have a closer look…
The four key temperatures to serve wine at
You need to serve a sparkling wine ice cold
Whether ... ››› more
- [25 September 2014]
- A shining star born from the artistic diversity of our flavourful nation
- Along the banks of the Eerste River lies one of the very first farms established in Stellenbosch way back in 1692. A restored manor house, a remarkable collection of Cape Dutch Gables and the oldest wine cellar in the country make up Spier Farm's rich cultural heritage.
Not only has Spier become a shining star in South Africa's winemaking community, but the farm's most recent owners have also t... ››› more
- [23 September 2014]
- Baffled when it comes to pairing up wine and food? Here are four tips to help you find the perfect match
- If you're having a dinner party, the thought of picking the perfect wine to go with your meal may fill you with dread.
The good news is, by keeping a few key things in mind when it comes to picking wine to pair with food, you'll select the right bottle.
Read on to uncover four tips to finding the perfect bottle of wine to accompany a meal…
Use these four wine pairing tips to find you... ››› more
- [18 September 2014]
- Never paid any attention to vintage variation of wine? Here's why you should…
- A wine can taste very different from one year to another even though it's from the same vineyard.
And it's all because of vintage variation.
Specific wines and wine growing regions are more susceptible to this than others.
Grapes grown in cooler areas with a higher chance of weather changes tend to show vintage variation more than grapes from areas of more consistent weather.
So how d... ››› more
- [11 September 2014]
Watch And Learn