- Looking for the perfect accompaniment for after dinner? Here's what you need to know about dessert wines
- What could be nicer to finish off a perfect meal than a lovely dessert? And if you're looking to take that pleasure to the next level, opt for a dessert wine to go with your something sweet.
But how do you pick it?
Well, the first thing you need to know is that there are five different types of dessert wine. They vary in sweetness and taste. And not all dessert wines are for after a meal. So... ››› more
- [05 September 2014]
- Looking for the perfect port wine to enjoy after a meal? Here's what you need to know about the four main types
- A small glass of port wine is the perfect end to a delightful meal.
But what few people know is that there are several different varieties of port wine.
So what makes them different to each other? And what taste can you expect from each of them?
Let's take a closer look at port wines…
Port is a fortified wine
Port, along with sherry, falls into the fortified wines category. A... ››› more
- [28 August 2014]
- The wine that fulfilled Napoleon's dying wish
- Situated in the oldest wine-making region in the southern hemisphere, along the Cape's most intimate wine route, lies South Africa's oldest wine producing farm… Groot Constantia Estate.
This historical estate produces some of the world's finest wines that not only continue to win international awards for consistently high quality, but have been enjoyed by the infamous French military leader ... ››› more
- [27 August 2014]
- This South African Shiraz can hold its own anywhere in the world
- Nestled on the southwestern slopes of the Helderberg, between Stellenbosch and Somerset West, lies a prime wine growing district and home to the exquisite Avontuur Estate.
Famous over the decades for its beautiful Thoroughbred Stud Farm, Avontuur's emphasis has always been on quality rather than quantity and this vision stems right through to the estate's premier wine range, all six of which a... ››› more
- [22 August 2014]
- If red wine is your tipple of choice, use this guide to help you conquer its key characteristics
- Going to a wine tasting? Or want to brush up on your red wine knowledge? This guide will help you get to grips with the key flavours and aromas of red wines.
Read on to uncover what you need to know about 14 of the most popular red grapes…
Here are some of the key tastes and aromas of 14 top red wines
Red wines tend to be fruity but, depending on the grape used, their tastes and arom... ››› more
- [21 August 2014]
- Wine connoisseur alert: Use the key characteristics of white grapes to pinpoint the aromas and tastes at a wine tasting
- You've most likely seen a wine expert on TV describing an array of different fruits and spices as he tastes a wine.
That's because certain wines come with characteristic aromas and tastes. And if you're going to a wine tasting session, knowing what these are can help you embrace what's going on in your palate.
So what are the key characteristics of different white wines?
Here are the ... ››› more
- [14 August 2014]
- As a vintage wine fraudster gets ten years in jail, how can you ensure you don't fall prey to a phoney bottle of wine?
- Yesterday, a US court sentenced Rudy Kurniawan to ten years in jail following his multimillion dollar wine scam.
Along with his hefty sentence, the court ordered him to pay back over $20 million to victims of his fraud.
So how can you avoid buying a bottle of dodgy vintage wine?
Read on to find out…
The wine fraudster made millions from making fake wines in his kitchen
A US c... ››› more
- [08 August 2014]
- Seven key terms you need to know to master wine tasting
- If you've booked a wine tour or you've joined a wine club, you'll want to make sure you're up to scratch with the main terms for describing wines.
But what does the acidity of a wine really mean? And what does the body of a wine actually refer to?
Read on to uncover what you need to know about these key wine terms and much more…
Wine tasting term #1: Acidity
Acidity describes the ... ››› more
- [07 August 2014]
- Wine connoisseur uncovered: How to taste wine in three easy steps
- You've probably seen a wine expert on television tasting a glass of wine and wondered what he or she was up to. Or perhaps you've been on a wine tour around the Cape and you weren't quite sure how you should taste a glass of wine.
So how should you do it? Where should you start? And what are you looking for?
Read on to find out…
Wine tasting step #1: Have a good look at your glass of... ››› more
- [31 July 2014]
- Five tips that'll help you savour every last drop of your favourite wine
- Nothing can beat a glass of your favourite wine. But do you know there are a few things you can do to make it taste even better?
If you're a red wine drinker, you probably know that you need to let the wine breathe. But what's the best way to enjoy a glass if you've just opened a bottle?
What about pouring a glass of wine? It's tempting to fill it right to the top, but this affects the taste... ››› more
- [24 July 2014]
- Five top tips to help you overcome common wine blunders
- Have you ever rushed to the shop to grab a bottle of white wine for a dinner party, only to find that the only bottles they have are all at room temperature?
Or what about those lovely reds you enjoy so much? The bottle says serve at room temperature, but when temperatures have soared well past 30°C, you can bet your bottom dollar that's not the temperature you're supposed to be serving it at... ››› more
- [17 July 2014]
- Use these three tips to keep your wine in a perfect drinkable condition
- If you've bought a few cases of wine, chances are you're not going to drink it within a day or two. This means you need to store it until you're ready to crack open a bottle.
Storing your wine is an important factor in keeping it safe until you're ready to drink it.
So how should you store your wine? Read on to uncover three tips to keep your wine in a perfectly quaffable state…
Tip #1... ››› more
- [10 July 2014]
- Three ways to remove labels from wine bottles
- If you've thoroughly enjoyed a bottle of wine and want to keep its label for future reference or as a keepsake of a special occasion, how can you get it off the bottle? Trying to peel it off will undoubtedly lead to the label ripping. So here are three ways to remove the most stubborn of labels…
Wine label remover method #1: In the oven
Put your empty bottle, with no cork or lid on, in the o... ››› more
- [03 July 2014]
- Use these six tips to find the perfect wine glass
- If you enjoy drinking wine, it makes sense to invest in some glasses to enjoy it in.
After all, a good quality wine glass can actually make a difference to the taste and the whole experience.
So what should you look for in a wine glass? Read on to find out…
Here are the six essentials of wine glass buying
Tip #1: Find a glass that suits both white and red wine
This will give you ... ››› more
- [26 June 2014]
- To live like a billionaire, you need to drink like one!
- Anton Rupert's life is the stuff of legend.
Growing up in the small town of Graaff-Reinet, Rupert had to drop out of medical school because his family didn't have enough money to pay the tuition. But he didn't let this setback stop him from being successful. He started making cigarettes in his garage and, eventually turned this venture into the industrial and luxury branded goods giant that is... ››› more
- [11 June 2014]
Watch And Learn