- Daunted by the wine list? Here's what to do if you've never heard of those red wines before…
- We've all been there: You sit down at a restaurant you've never been to, confidently open the wine list and then… Disaster strikes: You don't recognise a single red wine on the list!
What do you do?
Should you admit defeat and just order a beer instead?
Not at all. Equipt with the wine picking tip below, you're sure to find a great red wine every time…
Use this essential wine picki... ››› more
- [03 June 2014]
- Ernie Els scores top marks with this perfect “19th hole” vintage
- Trophies… Country Clubs… Big swings… These are just some of the things South Africans associate with legendary sportsman like Ernie Else.
But if the “Big Easy” isn't a name you automatically associate with top red wines, it should be.
Ernie Els is more than just a golfer; he’s a top winemaker too!
“While men may dream different dreams, they are driven by ... ››› more
- [27 May 2014]
- “Brrrr, it's cold out there!” Use this handy tip to choose the perfect wine this winter
- When you think winter drinks, we're willing to bet you think red wine. After all, what goes better with meaty stews, thick soups and hearty roasts with all the trimmings?
But wine experts believe it's not the colour of wine that you should base your winter wine selections on, it's actually this one factor instead...
Think red wine is the only wine to choice in winter, think again…
If y... ››› more
- [21 May 2014]
- Enjoy a little of everything you love in this red wine blend!
- A quick look at your wine collection will show you more and more wines are blended. This little fact shouldn't stop you from enjoying great wine. A little variety, like that found in the Meerlust Red Blend 2011, gives wine a depth of flavour that'll keep your taste buds tantalised until the last drop. And there are even more reasons to add this delicious red wine to your wine list…
Wha... ››› more
- [14 May 2014]
- Forget everything you know about red wine, this delicious Pinot Noir is breaking all the rules
- If you've always thought you can only drink red wine with red meat… That they always need be inky red in colour, have an oaky flavour and high tannin content, it's time to rethink those ideas. The Winery of Good Hope Reserve Pinot Noir 2012 is fruity… Great with seafood… Fragrant… And it's changing the way wine lovers experience this much loved red wine. Here's why…
Pinot Noir – the... ››› more
- [06 May 2014]
- Three wine pairing tips that'll make your next braai spectacular!
- Beer isn't the only drink you can enjoy at a braai. If your braai staples include beer, brandy and coke, you may want to try something new by bringing in different wines. Read on for advice on how to pair your wines for a good old South African braai this long weekend…
How you can pair your wine for a braai
Pairing wine for a braai isn’t as crazy as it may sound. You proba... ››› more
- [23 April 2014]
- Three reasons why you should add this unique South African wine to your collection!
- Tucked away in the heart of the Boland is more than 320 years of excellence in wine making. It's the home of Druk My Niet wine estate in Paarl, an estate that recently released Druk-My-Niet Cabernet Franc 2010, a truly unique South African cabernet franc …
What is a cabernet franc?
Before we get into what makes Druk-My-Niet Cabernet Franc 2010 truly special, we must first tell you... ››› more
- [15 April 2014]
- Buy wine like a connoisseur! Use these three expert tips to buy the best wine for your buck!
- Enjoying a tipple now and then should never leave a bitter taste in your mouth or a hole in your pocket. Paying more per bottle of wine doesn't mean you know more than the average drinker, nor does it mean you're getting a better deal. Today we reveal three wine buying tips you can use to find affordable quality wines that'll make any occasion a celebration…
Smart drinkers read labels to pick... ››› more
- [03 April 2014]
- French-styled elegance takes on a new meaning with the launch of this new Bordeaux blend vintage
- Nestled in the Paarl wine lands, lies a true gem. It's the Welgemeend wine estate. For the past 40 years, wine lovers have treasured it for its ability to capture the essence of fine French wines in its local red Bordeaux blends. And now it's released a new red wine vintage to the market…
Bordeaux-blend? What does that mean?
Before we tell you about Welgemeend’s must-have addition to yo... ››› more
- [02 April 2014]
- Don't ruin your red wine collection! Follow these essential wine storage rules to the letter
- When it comes to fine wine, there's nothing better than sipping on a perfectly aged red wine. And waiting long enough to open a bottle of Cabernet, Pinotage and Shiraz can mean the difference between merely enjoying a wine and being blown away by its true potential. But here's the thing: Ageing wine can go horribly wrong. To make sure this doesn't happen to you, follow these essential wine storage... ››› more
- [26 March 2014]
- To find the perfect wine to drink with pizza, use these five food and wine pairing rules
- Drinking wine isn't just for fancy dinners and nights out with your beloved. You can drink it at any meal - even with takeaway pizza. But to make sure you don't ruin the wine, you need to drink the right one. Here are five rules you can follow when pairing wine with pizza.
These five food and wine pairing rules will help you pick the best wine to go with your pizza
Wine pairing rule #1: Con... ››› more
- [19 March 2014]
- This ‘White' Pinotage is the perfect way to recapture summer
- If the recent bout of foul weather in SA has left you pining for summer, listen up: There's a crisp, fruity wine on the market that's not only one of the best easy drinking wines around, it'll help you recapture that summer feeling in no time. The secret? It's a blend very few people have tasted before…
The perfect blend of two of SA’s most loved varietals puts this wine at the TOP of our s... ››› more
- [12 March 2014]
- Wine investors listen up: Here are the top wine trends to follow in 2014
- For most people, wine is just wine. They enjoy a glass or two with a meal and tend to stick to what they know. Not wine investors. Like normal investors, they try time the market to find the wine most likely to give them best return on their money. And in 2014, this is likely to come from the following two places…
Two 2014 wine trends you should pay attention to
It’s getting easier and ... ››› more
- [05 March 2014]
- From the ‘home' of SA's most sought-after reds comes two wines you'll absolutely love
- A mere stone's throw away from the icy Atlantic Ocean and 45km from Cape Town lies one of the greatest wine gems in SA: The Helderberg Area. It's famous for the delicious red wines produced in this region. And those made in Spier's Bay View range fit this mould to perfection.
Helderberg Area reds are elegant, rich and intense! Just want you expect from a drain-your-glass wine
The Helderberg... ››› more
- [26 February 2014]
- When respected wine experts tell you a Shiraz is exquisite, you better listen…
- If you love red wine, we're willing to bet a good bottle of Shiraz isn't ever far from your dinner table. And when it comes to great local Shiraz's, Mount Vernon Estate's Three Peaks Cantata 2011 tops the experts' list of must-drink wines.
The big, bold wine flavours of blackberry, plum, chocolate and spice that come with every sip of Shiraz is enough to make anyone want another glass of this l... ››› more
- [19 February 2014]
Watch And Learn