2 To Sell
- Budgets, Two to buy and two to sell this week
- The Budget was delivered without too much fuss. Everyone knew there would be a “Gap” and the balancing act was to find a suitable filler. The new tax bracket was a bit of a surprise, but the hiking of the marginal tax rate was expected. Never the less bracket creep was significant so everybody shoulders the burden.
In SA, the market fell 1%; Gold shares were under pressure as the Rand held ... ››› more
- [28 February 2017]
- Getting it right… 2 to buy and 2 to sell
- Where is, the Rand going?
The biggest surprise last week came from the Rand which strengthened another 2,3% against the US Dollar and 3% to the Pound. This put Rand hedge stocks under pressure and the Resources Index fell 2,7%. The JSE Top 40 index was down 1,5%.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 1,8% and the S&P500 1,5%, touching new highs. European markets were firmer but m... ››› more
- [22 February 2017]
- The state of our nation + 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- The JSE Top 40 closed the week down 1,5%.
Higher commodity prices; Gold, Silver and Brent Oil were up more than 2%, while Platinum managed 1,6%. These were not enough to save the Resources Index (down 3%) from a stronger Rand. Industrials and Financials were also softer.
Anglogold up 9,3% and Harmony 9,5% responding to a firmer Gold Price (up 2,5%).
PSG rallied 6%, see comment below. ... ››› more
- [08 February 2017]
- Trump's first days in office + 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- Last week's sentiment remained positive and markets continued their rally. President Trump's first days in office are being closely monitored and provide plenty for traders to digest.
The JSE Top 40 closed the week up 0,8%, but retreated slightly on Friday along with generally softer developed markets; for the year to date the JSE is up 7,7%.
Kumba rallied 27% after it provided a product... ››› more
- [31 January 2017]
- Movers of the Week - Plus 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- Trump in the White House - America First!
As President Trump was being inaugurated the markets appeared to be waiting for direction. The JSE closed slightly lower, down 0,6% and the major developed markets were little changed if not slightly softer. Currency and Commodity also appear to be in a holding pattern.
Trump's speech was direct and unambiguous, watch-out as America puts its foot... ››› more
- [24 January 2017]
- JSE up 3.6%, The All Share is up 5% - are these signs of a great year ahead?
- The JSE was up 3,6% last week, adding to gains from the week before. The All Share index is now up 5% in two weeks, Resources 8,2%, Industrials 4,6% and Financials up 1,3%.
January is known to be a month with larger moves than normal, double digit figures are quite common. Watch out for the reversal in February. 2016 was a case in point…
Commodity Prices were firm with good gains from Pla... ››› more
- [17 January 2017]
- The Year that was - The biggest winner of 2016 was the Rand!
- 2016 has been a year many will quickly forget, but for the shock results of the Brexit vote and the US elections; it was a year where many cans were kicked down the road.
Global growth remained benign and potential silver-linings have yet to gain material traction because of lingering uncertainties such as the future US foreign policy, the tensions in South East Asia, lingering debt problems i... ››› more
- [11 January 2017]
Watch And Learn