- Five warning signs to spot “dead companies walking”
- There are many widely available tools, tricks and techniques that will help you spot good businesses that are likely to increase in value.
But do you know how to spot companies that are going bust?
Well if there's one person who does, it's Scott Fearon.
An extremely successful money manager, Scott Fearon has shorted more than 200 companies that eventually ended up at zero. And spotting th... ››› more
- [12 December 2016]
- Do you have the right “investment checklist” to uncover the most profitable opportunities?
- Before you even part with your money, the very first thing to do is to understand what makes this business tick.
It sounds simple but it's not. It takes time, effort and unfortunately there are no shortcuts.
Michael Shearn, author of The Investment Checklist: The Art of In-Depth Research, once said: "Many professional investors believe that in- depth research is a waste of time. To them, ... ››› more
- [25 August 2016]
- “What's a good share for me to buy right now?”
- I'm amazed over and over again by how naïve and trusting people are...
If I could have a cent for every person who'd asked me “What's a good share for me to buy right now?” I'd never have to work ever again.
It's quite concerning that some investors believe they'll be able to make quick and easy money by asking a total stranger what share to buy!
If you aren't prepared to make your... ››› more
- [09 June 2016]
- Whether you invest R10,000 or R100,000 don't ignore this rule
- I often get this question from investors: “What makes a great company to invest in?”
And while I can give you many technical answers about discounted cash flow (DCF) valuations, future growth forecasts and the like, the best answer is really simple.
The very best companies are the ones that “pay back” their investors.
That's the big rule of investing.
Invest in companies that w... ››› more
- [19 February 2016]
- About the company: Zurich Insurance Company South Africa Ltd [JSE:ZSA]
- Zurich Insurance Company South Africa is a short-term insurance provider. The company had a listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange until it was acquired…
Full name: Zurich Insurance Company South Africa Limited
Short name: N/A
Sector: Insurance – non-life insurance
Five top facts about Zurich Insurance
SA Fire House acquired a... ››› more
- [26 November 2015]
- How to spot a fantastic long-term investment
- When you're investing for the long-term, you want to put your money to work in companies that will continue to get bigger and better.
You want them to be efficient and grow their profits over the years.
So what are the signs of a company set to succeed for the long-term?
Read on to find out…
One of the biggest challenges is growing a company
When companies grow, they face a big... ››› more
- [08 October 2015]
- Why you should have penny stocks in your portfolio
- Some investors are put off investing in penny stocks because of the higher risks they carry.
But by not including penny stocks in their portfolios, they're also missing out on potentially huge returns.
Read on to find out why you should include penny stocks in your portfolio…
Why invest in penny stocks
Investing in penny stocks is worth the risk because their performance can beat... ››› more
- [03 September 2015]
- Four traits of successful entrepreneurs
- Successful entrepreneurs who make it big tend to share some specific traits.
So it you're a budding entrepreneur, what can you learn from the likes of Oprah Winfrey and Bill Gates?
Read on to find out…
Successful entrepreneur trait #1: Not relying on luck
Successful entrepreneurs don’t think luck plays a part in their success, Mark Forbes in The Crux explains.
Take a recent p... ››› more
- [14 August 2015]
- Benefit from the small company effect by investing in penny stocks
- Investing in penny stocks can be immensely rewarding.
If you manage to uncover the superstars of the future, you can make staggering profits from them.
By investing in penny stocks, you're harnessing the small company effect.
So what is the small company effect? And what difference does it make to your potential returns?
Read on to find out…
What is the small company effect?
... ››› more
- [12 August 2015]
- About the company: Rockcastle Global Real Estate Company Ltd [JSE:ROC]
- Rockcastle Global Real Estate Company primarily invests in international real estate. The company has a listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange…
Full name: Rockcastle Global Real Estate Company Limited
Short name: Rockcastle
Sector: Real estate – real estate & investment services
Five top facts about Rockcastle Global Real Estate Company
Rockcastle Globa... ››› more
- [07 August 2015]
- One big reason why you should avoid investing in stock market giants and focus on penny stocks
- Penny stocks can be risky investments due to their small size. But invest in a handful of carefully selected ones and you can gain from their massive profit potential.
Massive corporations are the opposite. Investing in them doesn't come with as much risk, but they have their downsides too.
The major disadvantage of these stock market giants is they can become a victim of their size.
Let'... ››› more
- [31 July 2015]
- About the company: Harmony Gold Mining Company Ltd [JSE:HAR]
- Harmony Gold Mining Company is a gold explorer and producer. The company has a listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange…
Full name: Harmony Gold Mining Company Limited
Short name: Harmony
Sector: Basic resources - mining
Five top facts about Harmony Gold Mining Company
Across its operations, Harmony Gold Mining Company employs around 34,600 people. This inc... ››› more
- [22 July 2015]
- Why you should check out a company's CEO before investing in shares
- The CEO (chief executive officer) is the person at the top of a company. He is the face of the business.
When you're investing in a company, it pays to take time to check out the CEO. A bad CEO at the helm means problems could be looming.
So what should you look out with a CEO of a listed company?
Read on to find out…
The essential qualities of a CEO
A CEO should excel at runni... ››› more
- [02 July 2015]
- This “first of a kind” new listing on the JSE is a stock to watch…
- The JSEs property sector is worth R590 billion. But until now it's only consisted of industrial, retail and office properties.
But on the 19th June 2015 a new company called Indluplace listed on the JSE. This company is the JSEs very first purely residential property company (REIT).
This is a big deal.
Being the first mover in the residential property market gives Indluplace a massive adv... ››› more
- [25 June 2015]
- How useful is EBITDA when weighing up investing in a company?
- As part of your research into shares you want to invest in, you may take a look at a company's EBITDA (earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation).
It can prove useful when comparing different companies. But you should use it with caution.
Let's take a closer look at why and what other measures you can use…
How you can use EBITDA to look at a company’s performance... ››› more
- [05 June 2015]
- Serious about investing in property? You could start your own property business…
- Investing in property is a good option to consider if you want to grow your wealth over the long-term.
By buying property to rent out, not only will you hope to see the value of your properties rise over time, you'll also have monthly rental income to look forward to.
One way to do this is by starting your own property business.
Read on to find out more…
Buying property as an inv... ››› more
- [20 May 2015]
- While Eskom struggles to keep the lights on in SA, consider this power play in Kenya…
- While South Africa may be Africa's second largest economy, it's struggling to stimulate growth. But there are other countries on the continent showing strong economic growth, such as Kenya.
Kenya is Africa's fifth-largest economy. And to ensure its electricity supplies grow with the country's needs, Kenya's sole electricity provider is worth a look at…
Key facts about Kenya
Over the ... ››› more
- [24 April 2015]
- About the company: Hwange Colliery Company Ltd [JSE:HWA]
- Hwange Colliery Company is a coal producer. The company has a listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange…
Full name: Hwange Colliery Company Limited
Short name: Hwange
Sector: Basic resources – mining
Five top facts about Hwange Colliery Company
Hwange Colliery Company employs around 3,200 people across its operations.
Hwange Colliery Company h... ››› more
- [09 April 2015]
- Looking for hints of what could lie ahead for a stock? Check what the ‘insiders' are doing…
- If you want to improve your investment success, you need to look to people who know better than you.
So who can you look to when it comes to shares on the stock market?
Read on to find out…
Company directors have a wealth of ‘insider’ information
You could start by speaking to your stock broker about a certain stock you like the look of. They may have some insights to share wi... ››› more
- [26 March 2015]
- About the company: Rex Trueform Clothing Company Ltd [JSE:RTO]
- With its roots dating back to 1937, Rex Trueform Clothing Company has interests in the clothing retail sector and property. The company has a listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange…
Full name: Rex Trueform Clothing Company Limited
Short name: Rex True
Sector: Retail – general retailers
Five top facts about Rex Trueform Clothing Company
Rex Trueform Clot... ››› more
- [25 March 2015]
Watch And Learn