Guy Algeo Is Director Of Prodigy Asset Management
- Getting it right… 2 to buy and 2 to sell
- Where is, the Rand going?
The biggest surprise last week came from the Rand which strengthened another 2,3% against the US Dollar and 3% to the Pound. This put Rand hedge stocks under pressure and the Resources Index fell 2,7%. The JSE Top 40 index was down 1,5%.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 1,8% and the S&P500 1,5%, touching new highs. European markets were firmer but m... ››› more
- [22 February 2017]
- Valentines Stocks! + 3 to buy and 1 to sell
- The state of our nation
A strong rally on Friday reversed losses on the JSE and helped the Top 40 close the week up 0,75%. Financials gained 2% while Industrials and Resources were marginally higher.
Markets continued to respond positively to the Trump administration's rhetoric, particularly regarding lower taxes. Data from China and Japan supported the market rally. The Nikkei rose 2,5% a... ››› more
- [16 February 2017]
- The state of our nation + 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- The JSE Top 40 closed the week down 1,5%.
Higher commodity prices; Gold, Silver and Brent Oil were up more than 2%, while Platinum managed 1,6%. These were not enough to save the Resources Index (down 3%) from a stronger Rand. Industrials and Financials were also softer.
Anglogold up 9,3% and Harmony 9,5% responding to a firmer Gold Price (up 2,5%).
PSG rallied 6%, see comment below. ... ››› more
- [08 February 2017]
- Movers of the Week - Plus 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- Trump in the White House - America First!
As President Trump was being inaugurated the markets appeared to be waiting for direction. The JSE closed slightly lower, down 0,6% and the major developed markets were little changed if not slightly softer. Currency and Commodity also appear to be in a holding pattern.
Trump's speech was direct and unambiguous, watch-out as America puts its foot... ››› more
- [24 January 2017]
- JSE up 3.6%, The All Share is up 5% - are these signs of a great year ahead?
- The JSE was up 3,6% last week, adding to gains from the week before. The All Share index is now up 5% in two weeks, Resources 8,2%, Industrials 4,6% and Financials up 1,3%.
January is known to be a month with larger moves than normal, double digit figures are quite common. Watch out for the reversal in February. 2016 was a case in point…
Commodity Prices were firm with good gains from Pla... ››› more
- [17 January 2017]
- The Year that was - The biggest winner of 2016 was the Rand!
- 2016 has been a year many will quickly forget, but for the shock results of the Brexit vote and the US elections; it was a year where many cans were kicked down the road.
Global growth remained benign and potential silver-linings have yet to gain material traction because of lingering uncertainties such as the future US foreign policy, the tensions in South East Asia, lingering debt problems i... ››› more
- [11 January 2017]
- Good news…All main exchanges are on the up!
- JSE up 3,3%
Last week the JSE recovered from an oversold position to close the week with a gain of 3,3%. Financials gained 4,8% and Industrials were up 3,7%. Resources managed a gain of 1,5%.
DAX up 6,6%, CAC up 5.2%.
European markets breathed a sigh of relief as the Italian referendum failed, the Dax gained 6,6% and the CAC 5,2%. Italy was up 7,3% and Spain put in 6,5%
US Markets... ››› more
- [13 December 2016]
- Market Movers and Shakers - 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- 3 to Buy
We're expecting positive results to boost this retailers share price
Yes, we have mentioned Steinhoff before, the stock has fallen significantly since June. They will release financial results later this week. We expect more clarity on the impact of Brexit and the acquisitions. Positive results will give the current price a lift, Buy Below R64,00.
A rare opportunity to ... ››› more
- [07 December 2016]
- Five market movements - 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- JSE All Share marginally positive, up 0,7%
After several volatile weeks, due to policy uncertainty, some calm appears to have returned to the markets. The JSE All Share Index was up 0,7% last week. Resources were down 3%, while Industrial's up 1,8% and Financials' up 2,5% lifted the markets overall.
Brent Crude up 5%
Russia indicated it would support a cut in output if adopted by Opec. Ma... ››› more
- [23 November 2016]
- Momentum in the markets - 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- Dear MoneyMorning reader,
US Stock up 3%, Emerging Markets down 4,5%
US Stocks recovered from sharply lower levels after a reconciliatory speech from President elect Donald Trump which eased market fears; Energy and Industrials were the leaders based on his plans for infrastructural development.
Emerging Markets have been left out in the cold as investors evaluate the impact of a Trump p... ››› more
- [17 November 2016]
- Movers and Shakers this Past Week - Plus 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- Industrials down 3%
Industrials took the brunt of weaker markets last week as concerns regarding the economic outlook post US elections weighed on sentiment. Woolies was down 6,3% and several other industrial shares fell by approximately 4%.
Naspers down 7,9%
Rand strength and weakness in social media stocks put pressure on Naspers. Facebook was down 8,6% while Groupon fell 19%. Some anal... ››› more
- [10 November 2016]
- Big Movers of the week with 3 to buy + 2 to sell
- Big Movers of the week
GOLD Stocks down 8,3%
The rollercoaster ride in Gold stocks continued last week, after bouncing the week before the Index was down 8,3%. Sibanye faired worst falling 13,7% while all the other major gold stocks gave up their recent gains.
MTN up 5,7%
Rebounding from lows, MTN was up 5,7% last week after a year of problems. The company has announced several heavywe... ››› more
- [03 November 2016]
- Big Movers of the week with 3 to buy + 2 to sell
- GOLD Stocks up 4,6%
Gold stocks bounced back, following a sharp selloff in the Gold price over the previous two weeks. It found support at $1260, which gave local stock some relief.
British American Tobacco 4,8%
Quarter 3 results from the Tabacco company were strong and the company has announced that it will buy out the rest of Reynolds America for $47 billion. The stock retreated on conc... ››› more
- [27 October 2016]
- The Big Movers for the past week Plus 3 to Buy and 3 to Sell!
- Guy Algeo, Founder and Director at Prodigy Asset Management gives you an exclusive look into what he'd consider a buy this week and which shares you need to take out of your portfolio......
Stock market overview
Gold down 4,5%
Bullion’s strong performance for the year saw a shape correction last week it was down $60 or 4,5%.
The Rand held firm and so the softer gold price had... ››› more
- [11 October 2016]