- Moving swiftly along - Three to buy
- A week of heightened protests has ended and the ANC Cadre are holding the fort, for now. Their confidence masks the growing dissension from all sides, including members of its own party, eventually pressure will come to bear.
Fitch followed S&P in downgrading SA, but again the reaction was relatively muted. Clearly the market had been preparing for this eventuality. Of more concern is that som... ››› more
- [11 April 2017]
- Cabinet reshuffle announced - Two to buy and one to sell
- Admittedly, I expected more movement in the Rand once the cabinet reshuffle was announced. We have a saying that “the Market always knows” which seems to apply in this case.
When Mr. Nene was removed, the Rand fell 8,5% within the first few days and then extended those losses by another 10% a few weeks later. By comparison the Rand has loss only 7% so far, perhaps the Market knew that SA I... ››› more
- [06 April 2017]
- Choppy waters ahead? - Two to buy and one to sell
- The news yesterday that several ministers have been recalled to SA has created some consternation; the Rand jolted back 3%. There is speculation of a cabinet reshuffle and/or further legal developments relating to the impasse between Treasury, Banks, and the Gupta's…...
The new Mining Charter is expected to be released this week. And the market is bracing itself for new challenges. This just... ››› more
- [28 March 2017]
- Why I'm calling a buy on the JSE, even though many call it expensive
- “The JSE is too expensive, rather buy these offshore stocks”, if read this headline, and variations of it many times in the past year.
Yet, my Red Hot Penny Shares readers would've banked an average gain on shares we sold of 22.21% in 2016.
Whilst there are still calls to drop the JSE and put your money elsewhere I am optimistic.
I believe 2017 can be just as good, or better, than ... ››› more
- [02 March 2017]
- Valentines Stocks! + 3 to buy and 1 to sell
- The state of our nation
A strong rally on Friday reversed losses on the JSE and helped the Top 40 close the week up 0,75%. Financials gained 2% while Industrials and Resources were marginally higher.
Markets continued to respond positively to the Trump administration's rhetoric, particularly regarding lower taxes. Data from China and Japan supported the market rally. The Nikkei rose 2,5% a... ››› more
- [16 February 2017]
- The state of our nation + 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- The JSE Top 40 closed the week down 1,5%.
Higher commodity prices; Gold, Silver and Brent Oil were up more than 2%, while Platinum managed 1,6%. These were not enough to save the Resources Index (down 3%) from a stronger Rand. Industrials and Financials were also softer.
Anglogold up 9,3% and Harmony 9,5% responding to a firmer Gold Price (up 2,5%).
PSG rallied 6%, see comment below. ... ››› more
- [08 February 2017]
- The shiny trade no one is talking about…
- I call it platinum fatigue…
Eight years ago, platinum hit $2,200/ounce.
It subsequently crashed to $800, recovered to $1,500 and dropped back to $800 again in 2016.
Everyone's basically given up on platinum, there's just been too much drama for the metal…
Did you even notice that platinum is up $100 since December 2017?
On 26 December 2016, Platinum was at $894 per oun... ››› more
- [01 February 2017]
- The company watch list: AVI Limited - A combination of value and growth
- AVI is a South African based company, listed on the JSE in the Food Products sector, and is centered on the FMCG market.
AVI's extensive brand portfolio includes more than 50 brands. The Group comprises of trading subsidiaries that manufacture, process, market & distribute branded consumer products.
AVI brands span across a range of categories including: hot beverages, sweet and savory bis... ››› more
- [26 January 2017]
- Movers of the Week - Plus 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- Trump in the White House - America First!
As President Trump was being inaugurated the markets appeared to be waiting for direction. The JSE closed slightly lower, down 0,6% and the major developed markets were little changed if not slightly softer. Currency and Commodity also appear to be in a holding pattern.
Trump's speech was direct and unambiguous, watch-out as America puts its foot... ››› more
- [24 January 2017]
- The switch you've all been waiting for…
- Last week, we discussed how through one simple switch we managed to save our clients a cumulative 71% in 2016.
But this year we're going to try and do it again. So let's compare the investment cases of The Foschini Group (TFG) and Woolworths (WHL).
These companies share similarities in that they're both involved in apparel retailing in South Africa but have very different strategies when i... ››› more
- [19 January 2017]
- JSE up 3.6%, The All Share is up 5% - are these signs of a great year ahead?
- The JSE was up 3,6% last week, adding to gains from the week before. The All Share index is now up 5% in two weeks, Resources 8,2%, Industrials 4,6% and Financials up 1,3%.
January is known to be a month with larger moves than normal, double digit figures are quite common. Watch out for the reversal in February. 2016 was a case in point…
Commodity Prices were firm with good gains from Pla... ››› more
- [17 January 2017]
- Good news…All main exchanges are on the up!
- JSE up 3,3%
Last week the JSE recovered from an oversold position to close the week with a gain of 3,3%. Financials gained 4,8% and Industrials were up 3,7%. Resources managed a gain of 1,5%.
DAX up 6,6%, CAC up 5.2%.
European markets breathed a sigh of relief as the Italian referendum failed, the Dax gained 6,6% and the CAC 5,2%. Italy was up 7,3% and Spain put in 6,5%
US Markets... ››› more
- [13 December 2016]
- Market Movers and Shakers - 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- 3 to Buy
We're expecting positive results to boost this retailers share price
Yes, we have mentioned Steinhoff before, the stock has fallen significantly since June. They will release financial results later this week. We expect more clarity on the impact of Brexit and the acquisitions. Positive results will give the current price a lift, Buy Below R64,00.
A rare opportunity to ... ››› more
- [07 December 2016]
- Five market movements - 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- JSE All Share marginally positive, up 0,7%
After several volatile weeks, due to policy uncertainty, some calm appears to have returned to the markets. The JSE All Share Index was up 0,7% last week. Resources were down 3%, while Industrial's up 1,8% and Financials' up 2,5% lifted the markets overall.
Brent Crude up 5%
Russia indicated it would support a cut in output if adopted by Opec. Ma... ››› more
- [23 November 2016]
- Big Movers of the week with 3 to buy + 2 to sell
- Big Movers of the week
GOLD Stocks down 8,3%
The rollercoaster ride in Gold stocks continued last week, after bouncing the week before the Index was down 8,3%. Sibanye faired worst falling 13,7% while all the other major gold stocks gave up their recent gains.
MTN up 5,7%
Rebounding from lows, MTN was up 5,7% last week after a year of problems. The company has announced several heavywe... ››› more
- [03 November 2016]
- The Big Movers for the past week Plus 3 to Buy and 3 to Sell!
- Guy Algeo, Founder and Director at Prodigy Asset Management gives you an exclusive look into what he'd consider a buy this week and which shares you need to take out of your portfolio......
Stock market overview
Gold down 4,5%
Bullion’s strong performance for the year saw a shape correction last week it was down $60 or 4,5%.
The Rand held firm and so the softer gold price had... ››› more
- [11 October 2016]
Watch And Learn