- The proven secrets to master the “buy high and sell higher” strategy
- We've all heard the expression to make money in the market you need to, “Buy low and sell high.”
Well today, I'm going to shatter that conventional wisdom and introduce you to one investor who managed to master the art of “buy high and sell higher”. And in doing so, become one of the world's greatest investors.
It was so effective, that his stock recommendation publication returned... ››› more
- [08 May 2017]
- “Why the best laid investment plans usually go wrong”
- More than three decades ago, best-selling author Harry Browne, argued that the odds are stacked against the typical investor who's overwhelmed by technical jargon, market volatility and the business of money management.
That's why in his book, Why the Best Laid Investment Plans Usually Go Wrong, Browne explained that it's impossible to rely on advisors, brokers or systems to make money in the ... ››› more
- [20 April 2017]
- Use the Rule of Four to keep your portfolio in the green in ANY market
- How you can diversify yourself to safety with the ‘Rule of Four'
What do you do with your money in a crisis? Do you sell your share portfolio? Do you stick everything in a bank account, in property or in gold?
That's the question that popped up around a campfire I had going with friends over the weekend.
Considering South Africa's junk status, state capture and political unrest that'... ››› more
- [19 April 2017]
- Why companies that demonstrate a “Value Chain” are more likely to generate you big profits
- Have you ever heard of the “Value Chain”?
Well, it's an old concept developed in the early 1980s by Harvard Professor Michael Porter.
Porter spent much of his career devoted to analysing competitive strategies.
In his 1985 best-seller book, "Competitive Advantage”, Porter discussed the power of the “Value Chain” and why companies that get this concept right are more likely to... ››› more
- [03 April 2017]
- A simple strategy to beat fund managers at their own game
- Right now, there are just north of 400 shares on the JSE.
Of these shares, investment funds only invest in the top 40, and perhaps the top 100… Only 161 shares are on the JSE All-Share index…
If you invest in a fund you're most likely investing in the JSE's Top 40 Index. Unit trusts simply don't deviate from the index too far, because that's the only way they can match the index perfor... ››› more
- [29 March 2017]
- Why every investor needs this exit strategy
- When you buy a stock and it doubles, what do you do?
Many investors would sell, feeling like they've made a good profit. Then, they sit on the sidelines and watch as their stock goes higher and higher - cursing that they've sold too soon.
Founder of Agora Publishing, Bill Bonner gives a great example of this:
Financial writer Richard Russell of the Dow Theory Letters invested in Warren... ››› more
- [20 March 2017]
- An investor's greatest asset…
- What do you believe an investor's greatest asset is?
A high IQ?
A stack of degrees behind their name?
A workable investment strategy?
Not at all.
In fact, the answer has nothing to do with money or personal success.
But it's something every potential investor can achieve.
Let me explain…
The world’s most famous investor confirms this... ››› more
- [28 February 2017]
- The proven five-step strategy ANY first time investor can use to buy their first share
- When I began investing, I used to buy and sell shares without even knowing exactly what the company did.
And my game plan couldn't have been more straightforward: If the share was moving higher, I bought it. If the share was falling, I sold it. I simply didn't care about the economics of a company.
This wasn't much of a strategy though. In some cases, it would work but it certainly never g... ››› more
- [13 February 2017]
- The most important investment decision you can make, in two minutes
- Please don't let your portfolio fall because of this single mistake…
In 2014, I got a mail from an investor:
I'm not investing in a single investment recommendation of yours again. I've bought Mr Price shares with my whole portfolio. And at the rate it's going now, I'll retire in a few short years.
I bought Mr Price at R136 in February, and now that it's August, the sha... ››› more
- [07 February 2017]
- Warning: This type of investor's behaviour will destroy your wealth…
- Since 28 December 2016, the JSE has rallied around 6%.
Some investors or analysts will say it's just erased the losses from last year.
But many will say the strong rally will continue delivering even more returns.
Whether or not that's true, it would be no surprise to now see investors pile money into the stock market.
And if you're one of those investors, that have been waiting pa... ››› more
- [06 February 2017]
- How to shield your portfolio against this one type of risk
- No one can accurately predict where the markets will go in 2017.
The fact is, the markets become volatile in times of uncertainty.
And when the markets become volatile, there's a good chance your investments could decrease in value. This is simply known as market risk.
The main causes of market risk are recessions, political turmoil, natural disasters and terrorist attacks. Or even sm... ››› more
- [23 January 2017]
- If you make one investing New Year's resolution, make it this…
- Consider this…
From 2013 to 2015, South Africa's listed property sector has achieved a 17% annual average return.
Over the same period, that's:
Five times more than what SA bonds returned
Three times more than what SA cash returned
3% better return than what SA equities has achieved
But the many investors who allocated a large portion of their wealth into listed property in 201... ››› more
- [11 January 2017]
- Five warning signs to spot “dead companies walking”
- There are many widely available tools, tricks and techniques that will help you spot good businesses that are likely to increase in value.
But do you know how to spot companies that are going bust?
Well if there's one person who does, it's Scott Fearon.
An extremely successful money manager, Scott Fearon has shorted more than 200 companies that eventually ended up at zero. And spotting th... ››› more
- [12 December 2016]
- Berkshire Hathaway's Second-in-Command single most important lesson to outperform the markets…
- Think Berkshire Hathaway and the first person that comes to mind is Warren Buffett.
But did you know much of Buffett's and Berkshire's success was down to his partner?
His name is Charlie Munger and he's the Vice-Chairman of Berkshire & Hathaway.
Before Munger partnered with Buffett, he managed his own investment partnership, which averaged returns of 19.8% a year from 1962 to 1975 beatin... ››› more
- [07 December 2016]
- The “Fool's Ratio” - Use it to spot the most profitable undervalued growth stocks
- 23 years ago, two brothers, David and Tom Gardner, founded and built one of the world's greatest investment communities - The Motley Fool.
Reaching millions of people every month through a website, books and the newspaper, they give independent financial and investment ideas to help ordinary investors make a lot of money.
But these brothers are more than this.
They've published best-selli... ››› more
- [21 November 2016]
- 15 tips to help you become a successful long-term investor
- If you're a long-term investor, you understand how challenging it is to find the right investments that will deliver your expected returns while you hold the stocks. Once you set your investment goals, you need to put a strategy in place to help you achieve those goals.
Now it's important to understand that there are no hard and fast rules to long-term investing. So it's important that you cre... ››› more
- [25 July 2016]
- Wall Street's “superinvestor” guide to pick the most profitable stocks
- You've probably heard the famous story of how Warren Buffett grew Berkshire & Hathaway into a multibillion dollar business. Or how the king of value investing, Benjamin Graham conquered the US stock market through the Great Depression.
But have you heard of the investor who managed to earn $19 million for his fund in just one year?
An investor who also managed to outperform the stock mark... ››› more
- [01 July 2016]
- The 3 kinds of stocks you need to avoid on the JSE right now
- I don't think there's a thing as the “perfect” stock. Yes there are stocks that demonstrate consistent profit growth, churn out cash flow and reward shareholders on a yearly basis.
But every stock has its flaws.
Whether it's way too expensive, over-hyped, worryingly cheap or just run out of steam, investors could easily fall for buying the a stock that looks attractive but ends up bust... ››› more
- [23 June 2016]
- The secrets to maximum penny share profits
- Last week, I sat down with Francois Joubert, the editor of Red Hot Penny Shares. I wanted to find out what makes his penny share selection techniques so successful.
After all, he's the expert that delivered exceptional investment returns like these five Penny Share recommendations that could have made you a fortune in almost no time:
• Transport Company SantovaLogistics (SNV:JSE) rose 221... ››› more
- [07 June 2016]
- Do you make these two common investment mistakes?
- Last week I met with some friends at a dinner party in Sandton. The conversation, as it always does turned to investing. I didn't say much during the conversation but I was quite concerned when i realised that my friends were making two common investment mistakes.
They were making these two investment mistakes in a different way.
Which is why, today I'd like to show you two common invest... ››› more
- [26 May 2016]
Watch And Learn