- Where else can you get a 35% return a year on your money?
- About 10 years ago, I gave up with investing. The returns were just too slow for my liking.
And so, trading took over a big portion of my life.
Now as you know by now I'm a trader by heart. But I also understand that I need to diversify my money for the future. Why? Well, it's better to grow my retirement kitty with multiple streams of income, rather than with just one or two.
With the st... ››› more
- [08 June 2017]
- This company is slowly burning, make sure you don't own it…
- More bad news for the Lonmin share price In 2012 Lonmin asked shareholders for R7.12 billion in capital to keep the doors open. At that stage the company was worth R8 billion. But investing in Lonmin was a bad idea.
By 2015 the company burnt through all of that money. Its value crashed, with the company being worth a mere R1.2 billion in November 2015.
And then, as the creditors came knock... ››› more
- [17 May 2017]
- The proven secrets to master the “buy high and sell higher” strategy
- We've all heard the expression to make money in the market you need to, “Buy low and sell high.”
Well today, I'm going to shatter that conventional wisdom and introduce you to one investor who managed to master the art of “buy high and sell higher”. And in doing so, become one of the world's greatest investors.
It was so effective, that his stock recommendation publication returned... ››› more
- [08 May 2017]
- Should I buy investment property using a company?
- One of the questions I'm most often asked is “Should I invest in property using a company, or should I invest in my personal capacity?”
Whenever I hear this question I want to ask investors WHY they want to invest through a company.
You see, as with most things investing there's no clear cut, one-size-fits-all answer.
There are a number of things to consider before you invest as a ... ››› more
- [03 May 2017]
- How “going electric” could cause the next oil crisis
- In 1973, Egypt and Syria launched an attack on Israel.
During this war, Israel was supported by its close ally, the US.
In response to US support, the Organisation of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), who control much of the world's oil market, implemented an oil embargo against the US and its allies.
Consequently, the price of oil soared from $3 a barrel to $12 a barrel.
... ››› more
- [24 April 2017]
- “Why the best laid investment plans usually go wrong”
- More than three decades ago, best-selling author Harry Browne, argued that the odds are stacked against the typical investor who's overwhelmed by technical jargon, market volatility and the business of money management.
That's why in his book, Why the Best Laid Investment Plans Usually Go Wrong, Browne explained that it's impossible to rely on advisors, brokers or systems to make money in the ... ››› more
- [20 April 2017]
- Use the Rule of Four to keep your portfolio in the green in ANY market
- How you can diversify yourself to safety with the ‘Rule of Four'
What do you do with your money in a crisis? Do you sell your share portfolio? Do you stick everything in a bank account, in property or in gold?
That's the question that popped up around a campfire I had going with friends over the weekend.
Considering South Africa's junk status, state capture and political unrest that'... ››› more
- [19 April 2017]
- This is a hassle-free way to get guaranteed rental income for life!
- I don't like having to look for new tenants, setting up rental contracts, or making sure payments have been made each month.
That's why I'm always on the lookout for opportunities to make my life easier.
And I've found just that.
Without dealing with an estate agent, or meeting up with a single person you can get:
Higher rental income than you currently get (7% on average)
Guaranteed ... ››› more
- [05 April 2017]
- Why companies that demonstrate a “Value Chain” are more likely to generate you big profits
- Have you ever heard of the “Value Chain”?
Well, it's an old concept developed in the early 1980s by Harvard Professor Michael Porter.
Porter spent much of his career devoted to analysing competitive strategies.
In his 1985 best-seller book, "Competitive Advantage”, Porter discussed the power of the “Value Chain” and why companies that get this concept right are more likely to... ››› more
- [03 April 2017]
- A simple strategy to beat fund managers at their own game
- Right now, there are just north of 400 shares on the JSE.
Of these shares, investment funds only invest in the top 40, and perhaps the top 100… Only 161 shares are on the JSE All-Share index…
If you invest in a fund you're most likely investing in the JSE's Top 40 Index. Unit trusts simply don't deviate from the index too far, because that's the only way they can match the index perfor... ››› more
- [29 March 2017]
- Choppy waters ahead? - Two to buy and one to sell
- The news yesterday that several ministers have been recalled to SA has created some consternation; the Rand jolted back 3%. There is speculation of a cabinet reshuffle and/or further legal developments relating to the impasse between Treasury, Banks, and the Gupta's…...
The new Mining Charter is expected to be released this week. And the market is bracing itself for new challenges. This just... ››› more
- [28 March 2017]
- The one thing that will lose you money when you ‘buy to flip'
- Buying a house, renovating and then selling it (called "buy to flip") can be one of the most rewarding investments for property investors…
You buy an old home for say R1 million, spend R250,000 on renovations and then sell it for R1.6 million or more.
Most investors believe the biggest secret behind a buy to flip is getting the best deal on materials for your renovation.
That's the b... ››› more
- [23 March 2017]
- Why every investor needs this exit strategy
- When you buy a stock and it doubles, what do you do?
Many investors would sell, feeling like they've made a good profit. Then, they sit on the sidelines and watch as their stock goes higher and higher - cursing that they've sold too soon.
Founder of Agora Publishing, Bill Bonner gives a great example of this:
Financial writer Richard Russell of the Dow Theory Letters invested in Warren... ››› more
- [20 March 2017]
- The cure for investor insanity
- The great Albert Einstein once defined insanity as “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
I'm sure on a personal level, you've experienced this insanity.
The fact is, we continually make the same mistakes in all areas of life. And when it comes to investing, this is especially true.
That's why today I'm going to explain the two most common inves... ››› more
- [17 March 2017]
- Putting a few eggs in other baskets is easier than you think
- Imagine a country with massive amounts of natural resources.
The richest economy in its region.
However, there are signs of trouble, including rising inequality and societal unrest.
To combat this the government is turning to populism by taxing the rich, confiscating assets and dramatically increasing the redistribution of funds to the poor.
This is not South Africa in 2017 I am t... ››› more
- [16 March 2017]
- Successfully build long-term wealth using these three basic habits
- One of the best parts about working for Fleet Street is being able to connect and build relationships with top global investment experts.
These are some of the brightest financial minds who help hundreds of thousands of readers from all over the world build wealth on a consistent basis.
And every single day, I'm fortunate to receive all their best inside information from Agora Financial, M... ››› more
- [06 March 2017]
- An investor's greatest asset…
- What do you believe an investor's greatest asset is?
A high IQ?
A stack of degrees behind their name?
A workable investment strategy?
Not at all.
In fact, the answer has nothing to do with money or personal success.
But it's something every potential investor can achieve.
Let me explain…
The world’s most famous investor confirms this... ››› more
- [28 February 2017]
- The one income investment that pays you FOUR times more than the JSE
- These days, investing for attractive income returns is extremely hard to come by.
Money market funds at most pay you 7.3%.
The average share on the JSE is only paying investors around 2.9% in dividends per year.
And once you factor in inflation, you're basically getting nothing!
But there is a way, you can invest for income and receive a return…
That beats every money market ... ››› more
- [22 February 2017]
- One of the JSEs most undervalued shares, and the good news Zuma's state of the nation address brings for it
- Consolidated Infrastructure Limited (JSE:CIL) is one of those buy and hold for a decade shares.
The company had a mere R8.32 in net assets in 2011. Today they stand at R21.62 - nearly 200% growth.
CIL also grew revenues from R1.4 billion in 2011, to R4.5 billion in 2016. That's a whopping 221% revenue growth.
And it's profit growth has been just as remarkable as it rode the wave of exp... ››› more
- [16 February 2017]
- The proven five-step strategy ANY first time investor can use to buy their first share
- When I began investing, I used to buy and sell shares without even knowing exactly what the company did.
And my game plan couldn't have been more straightforward: If the share was moving higher, I bought it. If the share was falling, I sold it. I simply didn't care about the economics of a company.
This wasn't much of a strategy though. In some cases, it would work but it certainly never g... ››› more
- [13 February 2017]
Watch And Learn