- Should you sell in May and go away…?
- News flow seems to have subsided for now, markets continue to grind gradually higher. The JSE added 1% last week on the back of stronger commodity prices; Brent recovered 3,4% after trading softer for several weeks.
Internationally, markets continue in a holding pattern; testing new highs. Commodities are responding to a weaker dollar and US Markets stumbled for the second time on new challen... ››› more
- [27 May 2017]
- SA firmer, US softer, OPEC may curb production further - Three JSE stocks to buy with updates
- Local markets were slightly firmer across the board last week, assisted by some Rand weakness and better commodity prices. US markets were slightly softer, the UK rallied 1,8% while Europe was flat.
US economic data did not meet expectations, which has called the pace of continued rate hikes into question. The US dollar gave up ground against most major currency pairs. Political uncertainty re... ››› more
- [17 May 2017]
- This powerful trading indicator predicts an all-time high on the JSE!
- I've been waiting for this for three years!
If you go look at the JSE All Share Top 40 Index, you'll see it's been going nowhere.
But us traders have been watching a very powerful indicator. This indicator shows us that momentum on the Index is picking up.
And finally, the buy signal has confirmed!
The JSE-ALSI has been lining up for a strong rally. In fact, I expect the JSE-ALSI will ... ››› more
- [08 May 2017]
- Why I'm not hot on the South African retail sector
- The Foschini Group is down 10.54% in the last month, Mr Price 10.40%, Truworths 6.33%.
And Lewis crashed a whopping 16.70%.
If you're invested in retail, it's been a bad month for you.
But before you start buying into the sector because it ‘shows value' I want to warn you…
South African retail sales are dropping and you need to watch out for the fallout
In its m... ››› more
- [26 April 2017]
- Choppy waters ahead? - Two to buy and one to sell
- The news yesterday that several ministers have been recalled to SA has created some consternation; the Rand jolted back 3%. There is speculation of a cabinet reshuffle and/or further legal developments relating to the impasse between Treasury, Banks, and the Gupta's…...
The new Mining Charter is expected to be released this week. And the market is bracing itself for new challenges. This just... ››› more
- [28 March 2017]
- My first gold prediction for 2017
- For years we've been reading some ridiculous gold predictions from experts. And when I say experts, I'm talking about the TOP banking analysts around the world.
“Gold is going to $6,000 in the next three years” “You can expect the gold price to go up 15,000% from here”
At that time gold was trading at $1,719, when these predictions were made. And guess what? Today gold is trading at ... ››› more
- [22 March 2017]
- Why I'm calling a buy on the JSE, even though many call it expensive
- “The JSE is too expensive, rather buy these offshore stocks”, if read this headline, and variations of it many times in the past year.
Yet, my Red Hot Penny Shares readers would've banked an average gain on shares we sold of 22.21% in 2016.
Whilst there are still calls to drop the JSE and put your money elsewhere I am optimistic.
I believe 2017 can be just as good, or better, than ... ››› more
- [02 March 2017]
- Budgets, Two to buy and two to sell this week
- The Budget was delivered without too much fuss. Everyone knew there would be a “Gap” and the balancing act was to find a suitable filler. The new tax bracket was a bit of a surprise, but the hiking of the marginal tax rate was expected. Never the less bracket creep was significant so everybody shoulders the burden.
In SA, the market fell 1%; Gold shares were under pressure as the Rand held ... ››› more
- [28 February 2017]
- You have to “Go Small” to add big returns to your portfolio
- As an advisor to the South African Investor board I deal with investors that are looking for long term returns that'll help them live, and retire securely.
That means we typically look at companies like Vodacom, Naspers, Bidvest and the like.
Large blue-chip shares that have been around for years, and will continue to be there for years to come.
Recommending these large companies is th... ››› more
- [22 February 2017]
- One of the JSEs most undervalued shares, and the good news Zuma's state of the nation address brings for it
- Consolidated Infrastructure Limited (JSE:CIL) is one of those buy and hold for a decade shares.
The company had a mere R8.32 in net assets in 2011. Today they stand at R21.62 - nearly 200% growth.
CIL also grew revenues from R1.4 billion in 2011, to R4.5 billion in 2016. That's a whopping 221% revenue growth.
And it's profit growth has been just as remarkable as it rode the wave of exp... ››› more
- [16 February 2017]
- Valentines Stocks! + 3 to buy and 1 to sell
- The state of our nation
A strong rally on Friday reversed losses on the JSE and helped the Top 40 close the week up 0,75%. Financials gained 2% while Industrials and Resources were marginally higher.
Markets continued to respond positively to the Trump administration's rhetoric, particularly regarding lower taxes. Data from China and Japan supported the market rally. The Nikkei rose 2,5% a... ››› more
- [16 February 2017]
- The state of our nation + 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- The JSE Top 40 closed the week down 1,5%.
Higher commodity prices; Gold, Silver and Brent Oil were up more than 2%, while Platinum managed 1,6%. These were not enough to save the Resources Index (down 3%) from a stronger Rand. Industrials and Financials were also softer.
Anglogold up 9,3% and Harmony 9,5% responding to a firmer Gold Price (up 2,5%).
PSG rallied 6%, see comment below. ... ››› more
- [08 February 2017]
- Two signs that signal the end of the property market bull-run
- Over the past 10 years, the South African listed property sector has easily outperformed its peers.
Investors who've jumped on this rally early, would have made a fortune investing in JSE property companies.
But the smooth-sailing returns delivered by the commercial property market are coming to an end.
You see, listed property returns have halved for the last three years - 25.1% in 2... ››› more
- [30 January 2017]
- The company watch list: AVI Limited - A combination of value and growth
- AVI is a South African based company, listed on the JSE in the Food Products sector, and is centered on the FMCG market.
AVI's extensive brand portfolio includes more than 50 brands. The Group comprises of trading subsidiaries that manufacture, process, market & distribute branded consumer products.
AVI brands span across a range of categories including: hot beverages, sweet and savory bis... ››› more
- [26 January 2017]
- Movers of the Week - Plus 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- Trump in the White House - America First!
As President Trump was being inaugurated the markets appeared to be waiting for direction. The JSE closed slightly lower, down 0,6% and the major developed markets were little changed if not slightly softer. Currency and Commodity also appear to be in a holding pattern.
Trump's speech was direct and unambiguous, watch-out as America puts its foot... ››› more
- [24 January 2017]
- The switch you've all been waiting for…
- Last week, we discussed how through one simple switch we managed to save our clients a cumulative 71% in 2016.
But this year we're going to try and do it again. So let's compare the investment cases of The Foschini Group (TFG) and Woolworths (WHL).
These companies share similarities in that they're both involved in apparel retailing in South Africa but have very different strategies when i... ››› more
- [19 January 2017]
- Which will be the top retail pick in 2017?
- Happy new year everyone, I hope you all had a good break and did tons of holiday shopping for your friends and family!
Why? Because yesterday marked the beginning of the retail reporting season. And, in the next couple of weeks we're going to see just how much South African's spent at the shops in December.
There is no doubt the market is expecting a super tough Xmas period for the beleag... ››› more
- [12 January 2017]
- The Year that was - The biggest winner of 2016 was the Rand!
- 2016 has been a year many will quickly forget, but for the shock results of the Brexit vote and the US elections; it was a year where many cans were kicked down the road.
Global growth remained benign and potential silver-linings have yet to gain material traction because of lingering uncertainties such as the future US foreign policy, the tensions in South East Asia, lingering debt problems i... ››› more
- [11 January 2017]
- Good news…All main exchanges are on the up!
- JSE up 3,3%
Last week the JSE recovered from an oversold position to close the week with a gain of 3,3%. Financials gained 4,8% and Industrials were up 3,7%. Resources managed a gain of 1,5%.
DAX up 6,6%, CAC up 5.2%.
European markets breathed a sigh of relief as the Italian referendum failed, the Dax gained 6,6% and the CAC 5,2%. Italy was up 7,3% and Spain put in 6,5%
US Markets... ››› more
- [13 December 2016]
- The JSE is overvalued, should I sell?
- The JSE All-Share Index is just 10% off from its all-time high.
It's sitting around the highest PE level of all time for the index, at 23.24.
At the same time, US markets are at all-time highs, and interest rates are threatening to go up.
With this in mind, I was recently asked by an investor, whether the JSE is overvalued and set for a massive correction.
So, should you hold on or sel... ››› more
- [01 December 2016]
Watch And Learn