- How minimum investing IS NOT the same as low cost investing
- Do you know the difference between minimum investing and low-cost investing?
Well, most investors would usually say they're the same thing. But this is far from the truth.
Low-cost investing deals with the investments associated with investing your money, while minimum investing implies the least amount of money you can invest.
In fact, failure to understand this can actually lead to... ››› more
- [16 January 2017]
- The “Fool's Ratio” - Use it to spot the most profitable undervalued growth stocks
- 23 years ago, two brothers, David and Tom Gardner, founded and built one of the world's greatest investment communities - The Motley Fool.
Reaching millions of people every month through a website, books and the newspaper, they give independent financial and investment ideas to help ordinary investors make a lot of money.
But these brothers are more than this.
They've published best-selli... ››› more
- [21 November 2016]
- Three market beating gold shares
- It's been an interesting year for gold bulls. The downtrend which brought the yellow metal down to its dismal dollar lows of $1050/oz in 2015 has reversed and gold is once again making an assault on the $1300/oz level.
In the meantime, thanks to the uncharacteristically strong rand, which is now 13% firmer since January, the rand price of gold has pulled back to R17,442/oz from highs of above R... ››› more
- [03 November 2016]
- The last high-profile listing jumped 26% in less than two months - Should you jump into this new listing?
- Dischem is due to list on the JSE on 18 November 2016.
The company shared that it'll probably list at a price of R16.25 - R20.25. If demand for its shares is too high, it could increase the listing price.
Now, I must say, Dischem is a great business. It's doubled its number of stores since 2010, and tripled them since 2008.
It's clear that Dischem can take major market share from other co... ››› more
- [03 November 2016]
- Questions I've never been asked in 13 years of trading
- Timon Rossolimos answers all your most important questions on trading for the week. This week's mailbag includes questions on Forex, stop losses, candlesticks, CFD contracts, Options and more.
Enjoy today's Q and A session…
To place a stop loss or not to place a stop loss?
“Is it necessary to place a stop loss if I watch my account closely from 9 ‘till 5?”
Ans... ››› more
- [27 October 2016]
- The one risk investors have complete control over, but most often overlook…
- Most types of risks for investors are almost impossible control.
Take politics for example - You have no control over what the Government says or does that could affect the markets.
But there's one type of risk an investor can control - The risk of paying too much for a stock.
Let me explain…
------- Special Announcement -------
This ... ››› more
- [26 September 2016]
- How Timon brought new vision to his 95-year-old grandfather in just ONE week
- I need to lay out two things on the table...
First, I am not qualified in cardiac health, vision or anything health related whatsoever.
And second, I am definitely not going to try and sell you anything.
However, I love family very much.
And just like you, I'll do anything it takes to help improve my family's quality of life where-ever I can.
And I know you have family, friends a... ››› more
- [05 September 2016]
- Bidvest's Food Service unbundling was a huge success… But should you still be holding Bidcorp shares?
- The Bidvest group recently unbundled its Food Service business and listed it separately on the JSE as Bid Corporation (Bidcorp) - share code (JSE: BID). Bidcorp received a warm welcome on its debut, kicking off the day at R270 a share and closing well up at R304 (giving it a massive market capitalisation of R102bn).
But let's recap quickly…
The reason for this unbundling was to create a ... ››› more
- [23 June 2016]
- Why you should always look at the Price Earnings ratio before you invest
- When you're looking for a solid share to invest in, the company's Price Earnings Ratio (PE) is a great way to find a good investment.
You see, the PE ratio shows you the relationship between the price of a share and the profits the company is making.
But more importantly, the PE ratio reveals to you whether a share is cheap or expensive.
It could also tell you where the share's going (an... ››› more
- [25 May 2016]
- The “do it yourself” retirement plan - Beat the market and save R1,198,087 in fees
- For decades, retirement investors handed over control of their finances to someone else to squeeze as much as they can out of their retirement annuities (RA). If you're doing that, then you know it means accepting mediocre returns and paying high management fees.
But there's a little-known ‘new generation' RA that lets you customise your investments. In fact, you now have full control over ... ››› more
- [24 May 2016]
- Can a trust really help you protect your generational wealth?
- To find out if trusts can help you protect your family's financial situation after you're gone, Aiden Sookdin spoke to one of the foremost trust experts in South Africa, Albert Vorster, Senior Fiduciary Specialist at Momentum Trust Limited. Here's what you need to know...
Albert agrees that trusts are still relevant for effective estate planning, asset protection and generational continu... ››› more
- [10 May 2016]
- The biggest mistake you can make when investing in a fund
- Imagine this…
You invest your hard-earned cash into a fund to help grow your retirement portfolio, but in a mere 2 days, the fund you've invested in loses 66%.
This happened to investors in the Third Circle MET Target Return Fund in December.
What's more, Asset Managers who invested in this fund also lost a fair chunk of their portfolio.
That's why today I want to share the three red... ››› more
- [27 April 2016]
- What is Binary Options and should you invest in them?
- I receive scores of questions from investors every week. But out of all of them there's one that I think you have to look at:
“Hi Francois, I'm retiring in a month and I want to invest some money in Binary Options. Is it worth it? I don't have any knowledge of it at all.”
What are binary options?
A binary option is a kind of option where you put down money to make a fixed return if... ››› more
- [06 April 2016]
- Investing in property? Just wait a second before you do so…
- According to Stats SA 36,300 new houses was built in South Africa during 2015.
This has been part of a steady recovery since the 2008 crash.
But before you go out and buy the first best rental property you see first heed my warning…
You need to bring the interest rate risk into your equation
Looking at the vast bulk of property prices today it’s clear to me buyers simply aren’t re... ››› more
- [05 February 2016]
- About the company: Spur Corporation Ltd [JSE:SUR]
- Spur Corporation is a restaurant franchisor of a number of brands. The company has a listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange…
Full name: Spur Corporation Limited
Short name: Spurcorp
Sector: Travel & leisure – travel & leisure
Five top facts about Spur Corporation
Spur Corporation employs around 368 people across its operations.
Spur Corpora... ››› more
- [27 November 2015]
- This must be the craziest thing I've seen on the stockmarket in years…
- I can still remember the first car I ever owned. It was a 1.4 VW Golf Chico with 110,000km on the clock. I got it second hand when I went to university. My dad's deal was I had to maintain it. The little car did its job well and took me everywhere I needed to go, even through the Karoo during noontime in December without air-conditioning!
Through all the sweet memories I made, there are a few t... ››› more
- [24 November 2015]
- How to use the TER when weighing up unit trusts to invest in
- Once you know the type of unit trust you want to invest in, you'll discover that there are many similar unit trusts on the market.
So how can you weigh up the best option?
Read on to find out…
What is the TER?
All unit trusts must publish their total expense ratio (TER). South African unit trusts have had to provide this since May 2007.
The TER gives you all the... ››› more
- [16 November 2015]
- Shoprite's share price bears the brunt of the knock on effects of an economic slowdown
- Yesterday, Shoprite Holdings released its operational update for the three months to the end of September. The retailer showed a much lower rate in turnover growth in comparison to the same period last year.
Shares paid the price on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange yesterday. And today shares continue their slide.
Let's take a closer look at what's going on…
Yesterday Shoprite shares ... ››› more
- [20 October 2015]
- Four reasons why you shouldn't rely on the CAPE ratio
- The cyclically adjusted price earnings (CAPE) ratio is a way to measure if the stock market is looking cheap or expensive compared to its long-term trend.
The idea behind the ratio is you can use it to tell you if it's a good time to be in the stock market.
So what exactly is the CAPE ratio? And is it a good idea to use it?
Let's take a closer look…
What is the CAPE ratio?
To c... ››› more
- [23 September 2015]
- How does the dividend discount model measure up to value a stock?
- When it comes to financial ratios, the PE (price earnings) ratio is one of the most widely used. The PE ratio gives you a way of valuing a stock in a simple way.
Companies that are growing at a slow rate or have erratic profits should trade at a low PE ratio. Whilst companies that are growing quickly should trade at a higher PE ratio.
So what about other commonly used methods such as the div... ››› more
- [07 September 2015]
Watch And Learn