- Moving swiftly along - Three to buy
- A week of heightened protests has ended and the ANC Cadre are holding the fort, for now. Their confidence masks the growing dissension from all sides, including members of its own party, eventually pressure will come to bear.
Fitch followed S&P in downgrading SA, but again the reaction was relatively muted. Clearly the market had been preparing for this eventuality. Of more concern is that som... ››› more
- [11 April 2017]
- Cabinet reshuffle announced - Two to buy and one to sell
- Admittedly, I expected more movement in the Rand once the cabinet reshuffle was announced. We have a saying that “the Market always knows” which seems to apply in this case.
When Mr. Nene was removed, the Rand fell 8,5% within the first few days and then extended those losses by another 10% a few weeks later. By comparison the Rand has loss only 7% so far, perhaps the Market knew that SA I... ››› more
- [06 April 2017]
- Choppy waters ahead? - Two to buy and one to sell
- The news yesterday that several ministers have been recalled to SA has created some consternation; the Rand jolted back 3%. There is speculation of a cabinet reshuffle and/or further legal developments relating to the impasse between Treasury, Banks, and the Gupta's…...
The new Mining Charter is expected to be released this week. And the market is bracing itself for new challenges. This just... ››› more
- [28 March 2017]
- Four “must knows” before you invest in a single share
- The biggest lie you'll ever hear in the stock market is that: “As a private investor you're not smart enough, and you lack the information to invest and make money on the stock market.”
It's a lie presented by fund managers, personal financial advisers and media analysts alike.
Obviously, they don't say it quite like this, but it's what they mean.
The essence behind their big lie i... ››› more
- [16 March 2017]
- Valentines Stocks! + 3 to buy and 1 to sell
- The state of our nation
A strong rally on Friday reversed losses on the JSE and helped the Top 40 close the week up 0,75%. Financials gained 2% while Industrials and Resources were marginally higher.
Markets continued to respond positively to the Trump administration's rhetoric, particularly regarding lower taxes. Data from China and Japan supported the market rally. The Nikkei rose 2,5% a... ››› more
- [16 February 2017]
- The shiny trade no one is talking about…
- I call it platinum fatigue…
Eight years ago, platinum hit $2,200/ounce.
It subsequently crashed to $800, recovered to $1,500 and dropped back to $800 again in 2016.
Everyone's basically given up on platinum, there's just been too much drama for the metal…
Did you even notice that platinum is up $100 since December 2017?
On 26 December 2016, Platinum was at $894 per oun... ››› more
- [01 February 2017]
- The company watch list: AVI Limited - A combination of value and growth
- AVI is a South African based company, listed on the JSE in the Food Products sector, and is centered on the FMCG market.
AVI's extensive brand portfolio includes more than 50 brands. The Group comprises of trading subsidiaries that manufacture, process, market & distribute branded consumer products.
AVI brands span across a range of categories including: hot beverages, sweet and savory bis... ››› more
- [26 January 2017]
- The switch you've all been waiting for…
- Last week, we discussed how through one simple switch we managed to save our clients a cumulative 71% in 2016.
But this year we're going to try and do it again. So let's compare the investment cases of The Foschini Group (TFG) and Woolworths (WHL).
These companies share similarities in that they're both involved in apparel retailing in South Africa but have very different strategies when i... ››› more
- [19 January 2017]
- The one industry I'm most excited about for 2017…
- As I predicted last year, 2016 was a year of consolidation. Our market went nowhere. But shares are much cheaper today than they were a year ago.
And that makes me optimistic about 2017.
But there's one industry in particular that I've got my eyes on.
It was arguably the worst sector for 2016.
One of the worst droughts in decades hit South Africa. Farmers lost crop... ››› more
- [18 January 2017]
- JSE up 3.6%, The All Share is up 5% - are these signs of a great year ahead?
- The JSE was up 3,6% last week, adding to gains from the week before. The All Share index is now up 5% in two weeks, Resources 8,2%, Industrials 4,6% and Financials up 1,3%.
January is known to be a month with larger moves than normal, double digit figures are quite common. Watch out for the reversal in February. 2016 was a case in point…
Commodity Prices were firm with good gains from Pla... ››› more
- [17 January 2017]
- Good news…All main exchanges are on the up!
- JSE up 3,3%
Last week the JSE recovered from an oversold position to close the week with a gain of 3,3%. Financials gained 4,8% and Industrials were up 3,7%. Resources managed a gain of 1,5%.
DAX up 6,6%, CAC up 5.2%.
European markets breathed a sigh of relief as the Italian referendum failed, the Dax gained 6,6% and the CAC 5,2%. Italy was up 7,3% and Spain put in 6,5%
US Markets... ››› more
- [13 December 2016]
- Five warning signs to spot “dead companies walking”
- There are many widely available tools, tricks and techniques that will help you spot good businesses that are likely to increase in value.
But do you know how to spot companies that are going bust?
Well if there's one person who does, it's Scott Fearon.
An extremely successful money manager, Scott Fearon has shorted more than 200 companies that eventually ended up at zero. And spotting th... ››› more
- [12 December 2016]
- Market Movers and Shakers - 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- 3 to Buy
We're expecting positive results to boost this retailers share price
Yes, we have mentioned Steinhoff before, the stock has fallen significantly since June. They will release financial results later this week. We expect more clarity on the impact of Brexit and the acquisitions. Positive results will give the current price a lift, Buy Below R64,00.
A rare opportunity to ... ››› more
- [07 December 2016]
- The JSE is overvalued, should I sell?
- The JSE All-Share Index is just 10% off from its all-time high.
It's sitting around the highest PE level of all time for the index, at 23.24.
At the same time, US markets are at all-time highs, and interest rates are threatening to go up.
With this in mind, I was recently asked by an investor, whether the JSE is overvalued and set for a massive correction.
So, should you hold on or sel... ››› more
- [01 December 2016]
- The “Fool's Ratio” - Use it to spot the most profitable undervalued growth stocks
- 23 years ago, two brothers, David and Tom Gardner, founded and built one of the world's greatest investment communities - The Motley Fool.
Reaching millions of people every month through a website, books and the newspaper, they give independent financial and investment ideas to help ordinary investors make a lot of money.
But these brothers are more than this.
They've published best-selli... ››› more
- [21 November 2016]
- Momentum in the markets - 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- Dear MoneyMorning reader,
US Stock up 3%, Emerging Markets down 4,5%
US Stocks recovered from sharply lower levels after a reconciliatory speech from President elect Donald Trump which eased market fears; Energy and Industrials were the leaders based on his plans for infrastructural development.
Emerging Markets have been left out in the cold as investors evaluate the impact of a Trump p... ››› more
- [17 November 2016]
- Movers and Shakers this Past Week - Plus 3 to buy and 2 to sell
- Industrials down 3%
Industrials took the brunt of weaker markets last week as concerns regarding the economic outlook post US elections weighed on sentiment. Woolies was down 6,3% and several other industrial shares fell by approximately 4%.
Naspers down 7,9%
Rand strength and weakness in social media stocks put pressure on Naspers. Facebook was down 8,6% while Groupon fell 19%. Some anal... ››› more
- [10 November 2016]
- Three market beating gold shares
- It's been an interesting year for gold bulls. The downtrend which brought the yellow metal down to its dismal dollar lows of $1050/oz in 2015 has reversed and gold is once again making an assault on the $1300/oz level.
In the meantime, thanks to the uncharacteristically strong rand, which is now 13% firmer since January, the rand price of gold has pulled back to R17,442/oz from highs of above R... ››› more
- [03 November 2016]
- Big Movers of the week with 3 to buy + 2 to sell
- Big Movers of the week
GOLD Stocks down 8,3%
The rollercoaster ride in Gold stocks continued last week, after bouncing the week before the Index was down 8,3%. Sibanye faired worst falling 13,7% while all the other major gold stocks gave up their recent gains.
MTN up 5,7%
Rebounding from lows, MTN was up 5,7% last week after a year of problems. The company has announced several heavywe... ››› more
- [03 November 2016]
- Big Movers of the week with 3 to buy + 2 to sell
- GOLD Stocks up 4,6%
Gold stocks bounced back, following a sharp selloff in the Gold price over the previous two weeks. It found support at $1260, which gave local stock some relief.
British American Tobacco 4,8%
Quarter 3 results from the Tabacco company were strong and the company has announced that it will buy out the rest of Reynolds America for $47 billion. The stock retreated on conc... ››› more
- [27 October 2016]
Watch And Learn