- The Year that was - The biggest winner of 2016 was the Rand!
- 2016 has been a year many will quickly forget, but for the shock results of the Brexit vote and the US elections; it was a year where many cans were kicked down the road.
Global growth remained benign and potential silver-linings have yet to gain material traction because of lingering uncertainties such as the future US foreign policy, the tensions in South East Asia, lingering debt problems i... ››› more
- [11 January 2017]
- Brexit and Tshwane make it nearly impossible to predict what the South African Rand is going to do next
- This week, the South African Rand is at its highest level in seven weeks. It's clawing back against the dollar trading at around R14.74.
I don't know about you but I certainly didn't expect the rand to gain so much ground. I must admit that I had severely negative outlook for the rand this month.
With the political unrest in Tshwane and a new wave of violent strikes in the country, I expect... ››› more
- [23 June 2016]
- Your money is disappearing in front of your eyes!
- I don't have many regrets.
But the one regret I do have, is not taking action four years ago and opening an offshore savings account to protect a portion of my capital.
The rand is a joke and your money is disappearing in front of your eyes. Not just lately, but for the last four years!
It's still not too late, though to take action and avoid a complete disaster.
After you're done read... ››› more
- [17 November 2015]
- How to use currency futures to trade forex
- If you want to trade forex, there are a few different instruments you can use. One of these is currency futures.
If you decide to trade the rand against major international currencies, currency futures are more reasonable to trade than spread trading.
So how do currency futures work? And what currencies can you trade the rand against?
Let's take a closer look…
What are currenc... ››› more
- [16 November 2015]
- Forex strategies: How to trade the rand against the world's major currencies
- The forex market trades 24-hours a day, five-days a week.
This financial market is the largest and most liquid in the world. It's where the trading of the world's currencies takes place.
So how can you trade the rand against the world's major currencies?
Read on to find out…
How to use currency futures to trade the rand
If you want to trade the rand against a number of the wor... ››› more
- [08 April 2015]
- How to make staggering profits on a short forex trade
- When you trade forex, you have a number of options when it comes to putting trades on.
You can go long and short. And depending on what type of currencies you want to trade, you can use currency futures and spread trading.
So if you think the dollar is going to fall against the rand, what can you do to profit?
Let's take a closer look…
Using currency futures to trade the rand
A... ››› more
- [31 October 2014]
- 2014 has been tough for the rand and it doesn't look likely to improve… What is going on with our currency?
- Since the turn of the year, the rand has been on a rollercoaster against the US dollar.
There are various factors working against the local currency.
So what are these? Why does this make the rand so vulnerable? And what does the future hold?
Let's take a closer look…
The rand continues to struggle at 11/$
After a few months of relative respite, last month the rand started its ... ››› more
- [27 October 2014]
- The rand manages to hold below 11/$ on the back of Nene's debut mini budget
- The last few weeks have been hard going for the rand. A strong dollar and investors staying away from riskier assets has hit the currency.
But since Wednesday when finance minister Nhlanhla Nene gave his first medium-term budget, the local currency has managed to sustain its gains. It appears traders liked the measures Mr Nene outlined to deal with South Africa's burgeoning budget deficit.
L... ››› more
- [24 October 2014]
- An end to the platinum sector strike firms up the rand
- Yesterday afternoon, news emerged that the five-month long strike in the platinum sector was over. The Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (AMCU) and the top three platinum producers finally agreed a new three-year deal. The rand strengthened on the news. And this morning the rand continues to hold its gains. Let's take a closer look at what's going on…
The rand rallied 1% on ne... ››› more
- [24 June 2014]
- Three ways to protect yourself from the imploding rand
- The rand has now blown out completely! Over the last few months, the rand has been battling to stand its ground against major developed market currencies. And on Friday, it just folded! Fund outflows, production disruptions and widening current account deficit have all weighted on the local unit. And, with foreign investors heading for the hills, you've got to favour offshore and rand-hedge invest... ››› more
- [26 January 2014]
- The rand continues to struggle
- The new week hasn't brought the rand any respite. The local currency is still flirting with lows last seen five years ago. The rand is battling to contend with a stronger dollar and other factors are weighing on it. Let's take a closer look at what's putting pressure on the rand…
By lunchtime today, the rand continued to struggle, says BDLive. This as “sentiment towards emerging market curre... ››› more
- [06 January 2014]
- What's the fuss about the rand against the dollar?
- When the rand is on one of its roller coaster rides, the most quoted currency you'll hear the rand compared to is the US dollar. But have you ever wondered why the rand dollar rate is most quoted? Read on to find out what the fuss is about the rand against the dollar...
A stable rand dollar exchange rate boosts local business, Gareth Stokes in Fear, Greed and the Stock Market explains...
If e... ››› more
- [23 October 2013]
- The rand feels the pressure as the dollar climbs
- The rand has felt the pressure building all week. With the release of a spate of economic data, the local currency has tumbled. Read on to find out why the rand has fallen…
It has not been a good day for the rand.
It’s almost touching the “psychologically important 10 level” against the dollar, reports IOL. The dollar was “boosted by US data” which showed that its economy is slowi... ››› more
- [01 August 2013]
- The rand's woes continue - the mass exodus from emerging markets bites
- The week got off to a bad start for the stricken rand. And this trend looks set to continue today. Now, more bad news for the weak rand has sent it even lower…
Yesterday saw worse than expected data emerging from China resulting in the rand tumbling against the dollar.
The news that China’s industrial production was worse than forecast left investors continuing to bail out from commodity ... ››› more
- [11 June 2013]
- Why I don't trade the Rand…
- A very common question I've been getting asked lately is, why I'm not taking advantage of this weakening rand. One specific question I got from T.M is.
"With the rand on a downward spiral, one would have expected tips from Forex Trader to cash in on the movement?" Now, I'm sure many of you are wondering exactly the same thing...
Why don't I trade the Rand?
Let me explain!
There... ››› more
- [05 June 2013]
- Revealed: The true reason the rand's weakened to R10/$ and the impact it'll have on your pocket!
- You'd have to be on a severely restricted media diet to have missed the news that the rand breached R10/$ yesterday. Many are saying President Zuma's speech on unrest in the labour sector and poor economic growth data are the main culprits for this latest spurt of rand weakening, but the rand's been weakening for a while now… Here's how it'll affect your spending.
Following President J... ››› more
- [31 May 2013]
- Warning: Lonmin's strike hints at unrest in the platinum industry - again!
- While South African stocks rose on Tuesday, mining shares restricted the upswing and the rand dropped to a new three-week low. The reason? Fresh worries about union upset and potential strikes at gold and platinum mines - Lonmin in particular...
Platinum firm Lonmin was yesterday’s biggest faller on the JSE.
It “topped the decliners' list as workers at its South Africa... ››› more
- [15 May 2013]
- Don't cry when the rand weakens, celebrate!
- The rand was weaker on Thursday. This was ahead of yesterday's major data releases from the European Central Bank and today's US nonfarm payroll figures. But don't despair! There's a great investment strategy you can use to profit from a weak rand!
The rand is expected to remain weak, between R9.18 to R9.28/$ in the short term.
It’s going to take something significant to move us o... ››› more
- [05 April 2013]
- Trade forex to profit from the volatile rand
- Just when you thought all the Anglo American Platinum drama was over, a standoff at the mine has sparked fears of renewed labour unrest, with the rand has weakened as a result. If you're wondering how to use this to your investment portfolio's advantage, here's the answer: Now's a good time to start trading the rand. Anglo American Platinum is behind the latest market shakedown.
The rand weaken... ››› more
- [19 February 2013]
- Want to profit from emerging market investment mania? Trade the rand
- If you're wondering why the rand was weaker on Tuesday - wonder no more. It's all because emerging markets were feeling the effect of North Korea's nuclear test. Since the rand is seen as proxy for emerging markets, it reacted most to this news. And it's this tendency that makes trading the rand a great way to profit from emerging market mania sweeping the investment arena right now. Here's how…... ››› more
- [12 February 2013]
Watch And Learn