The Rand has staged a stellar rally. Strengthening from above R15 against the USD to below R13.90. It came within half a cent of our R13.8550 target against the USD but the price is consolidating. It's time to bank our profits after a 6.24% gain, with gearing your gain could have been more than ten times larger.
Trading the other way and going long the USD against the ZAR has good risk to reward metrics. With Thursday's expected rate cut we should see some ZAR weakness. A reduction in interest rates is generally negative for a currency.
If we also get some negative earnings surprises globally, investor sentiment might wane considering slowdown fears, this will see a risk of trade affecting the ZAR. American earnings season unofficially kicks off with the major US banks this week.
Look at the chart below and see how the USD/ZAR pair is consolidating around the R13.90 level. The R13.90 level is a strong support level. The R13.60 level (indicated with the green line) is the upper resistance level that we will be targeting on our long.
Go long the USD/ZAR at R13.90, stop loss is a daily close below R13.80 with a target of R14.55.
From the man who bought bitcoin for just $12…
“If you want to make a killing from cryptocurrencies – read this book as FAST as you bloody can!”
Anyone with a tiny stake to spare could reap thousands – even tens of thousands of rands – from this erupting financial market.
That’s why I’ll rush out your personal digital copy for just R100.
That’s it. For a limited time, R100 is all it costs to get your guide to the biggest wealth creation event in history…
The week ahead:
• Local: Manufacturing: Retail trade sales (17/07); SARB rates decision (18/07)
• Results Due: SBV (19/07)
• LDT: AFH, AFH, DTA, IBRP1, LEW, NCS, PMV (16/07)
• Special/Share Premium Dividend (16/07): STX40, STXDIV, STXFIN
Other Economic data releases of interest…
• Monday: Empire State Manufacturing Index (USD); CPI (NZL); Monetary Policy Meeting Minutes (AUS)
• Tuesday: FOMC Member Bowman & Evans Speaks, Core Retail Sales, Fed Chair Powell Speaks (USA); Average Earnings Index (UK); German ZEW Economic Sentiment (EU)
• Wednesday: Building Permits (USA); CPI (UK); CPI, Manufacturing Sales (CAN); Unemployment Rate (AUS)
• Thursday: Retail Sales (UK); Philly Fed Manufacturing Index, FOMC Member Williams Speaks (USA)
• Friday: FOMC Member Rosengren Speaks & Bullard (USA); Public Sector Net Borrowing (UK); Core Retail Sales (CAN)
Do you have an RA policy? Are you nearing retirement? Do you know how your investments are performing? Are you still paying high fees on your long-term savings?
As a leading provider of new generation investment solutions for pre and post retirement, we can reduce your fees by 60% or more!!
To ensure you have the best solution contact Gavin McCarter to set up a free review. Email: email@example.com