Joshua Benton, Editor, Real Wealth
- How “Diworsification” could cost you your entire investment
- In the 1980s, one of the greatest mutual fund managers of all time, Peter Lynch, published a number one best seller - One Up on Wall Street.
This book explains the advantages that average investors have over professionals and how they can use these advantages to achieve financial success.
Over the years, One Up on Wall Street has become one of the most famous investment guides with more th... ››› more
- [20 July 2020]
- Why STOs will change how we invest in the future
- Remember, last month, I introduced a crypto concept called “decentralised finance or DeFI".
In short, DeFi would allow you to create an entire financial system without banks or central authorities.
And, because this would make things cheaper and more efficient, DeFI could overtake every area of traditional finance.
One avenue of DeFi, is something called Security Token Offerings (STO... ››› more
- [06 April 2020]
- Has gold lost its “safe-haven” status?
- Lots of people think of gold as a hedge against uncertainty. And that's usually the case.
But over the past two weeks, something odd happened in the gold market…
From 9 March to 19 March, the dollar gold price fell from $1,679 to $1,472.
If gold is the ultimate hedge against uncertainty, why then, did it fall double digits (over 12%) in less than two weeks?
... ››› more
- [01 April 2020]
- The REAL reasons why the crypto market LOST $100 billion last week
- Over the last seven days, the crypto market shed around half of its value.
With the entire market cap dropping from $220 billion to $120 billion in less than 24 hours.
Most of the major crypto-currencies dropped 20%, 30% or even more
And surprising enough, these massive price swings weren't crypto related at all.
Here are the real reasons why most crypto-currencies crashed last week... ››› more
- [23 March 2020]
- How this asset helps reduce risk, eliminate volatility and cut losses
- When market uncertainty is prevalent (like it is right now in South Africa), investing in this asset helps fund managers combat the triple portfolio threat of risk, volatility and losses.
And what's more important than making money?
Not losing it!
So how exactly does it do this?
A Guaranteed Income Booster You simply Can't Igno... ››› more
- [20 March 2020]
- Why do we sell our winners and hold our losers?
- It's true!
The average investor sells his winners and holds his losers believing they will turn around!
This phenomenon even has a name
It's called the disposition effect.
And they even conducted a study to prove it…
In 1998, two US Finance Professors Brad Barber and Terrance O'Dean conducted a study called The Behaviour of Individual Investors.
They analysed the trading ... ››› more
- [28 February 2020]
- Use this technique to “reset” your portfolio for optimal performance
- Have you ever experienced a flat tyre while driving? You can feel the car lose balance on the side of the flat tyre.
To fix it, you would replace the flat with a spare. And doing this, brings back the balance of car.
Well just how you would rebalance your car by replacing the flat tyre, you do exactly the same with your investment portfolio.
Rebalancing in investment terms is the proce... ››› more
- [14 February 2020]
- Why the 2020s could be a very big decade for crypto growth!
- Can you guess the best performing asset over the past decade?
If you said stocks, you'd be wrong.
The actual answer may surprise you.
Bank of America analysed the returns of different asset classes over the past decade and this is what they found…
$1 invested in…
• Gold would be worth around $1.35
• US bonds would be worth just over $2
• US Stocks would be worth aro... ››› more
- [27 January 2020]
- These three warning signs will tell you when to sell a dividend stock!
- When do you sell a dividend stock?
Some investors love dividend stocks so much they will never sell.
But if your goal is to generate a consistent growing income, knowing when to sell can be tricky.
After all dividend stock prices can fall and dividends can get cut… so what then?
Here are three warning signs to look out for to know when to sell.
____________________... ››› more
- [20 January 2020]
- The #1 investment rule for 2020
- Happy New Year and welcome to 2020.
The last time we entered a new decade, the world was recovering from the 08/09 Financial Crisis.
Since then, the US stock market has repeatedly hit new all-time highs (despite some bumps in the road).
And while we know the turning point in the cycle could be around the corner… we have to remember…
... ››› more
- [13 January 2020]
- Last week, I warned investors about this “income-trap” and it just crashed 31%!
- In November's issue of the South African Investor, I warned readers about two types of “danger” shares lurking on the JSE.
One of these types is called the “High-Yielder”.
Simply these are shares that sit on suspiciously high dividend yields.
You've probably heard me speak about these “income-traps” before, but in the South African Investor, I went further and reveale... ››› more
- [09 December 2019]
- “Cannabis 2.0”: The next wave of pot profits just arrived
- Did you see recently the huge news on the Canadian cannabis front?
Well, on 17 October 2019, derivatives of marijuana — topicals and extracts — that were previously out of the question, were legalized in Canada.
This next stage of cannabis legalisation will create a tidal wave of new profits for cannabis companies.
And in turn reward early investors - who bank on the right compani... ››› more
- [28 October 2019]
- Why you must rebalance your crypto portfolio!
- I'm sure you've heard of portfolio rebalancing. Almost every investor does it.
It's a simple, but extremely important ‘tool' where an investor periodically buys or sells different assets (stocks, bonds, etc) within a portfolio.
Rebalancing helps reduce the risk an investor suffers from the changes in returns of various investments. And it also helps ‘restore' their desired asset allocatio... ››› more
- [09 September 2019]
- The biggest threat to China is a… cryptocurrency
- When Facebook announced plans to launch its new digital currency Libra, it was met with fear…Especially in China.
When questioned on Facebook's Libra at a press conference, the founder and CEO of Huawei hit back saying,
“China can also issue such a [crypto]currency by itself. Why wait for others to issue it? The power of a country is always stronger than an Internet company.”
The ... ››› more
- [05 August 2019]
- The ‘Bitcoin-Gold' connection
- Right now, many investors are scrambling to find assets that don't follow the swings of the stock market.
Their first choice is gold.
You see, gold has constantly proved itself as a supreme store of value. If investors get scared by financial or political news, gold makes a great insurance policy.
It is almost certain to hold its value over time.
And obviously in times of turmoil, ... ››› more
- [01 July 2019]
- After a +300% surge, should you own this 2019 crypto superstar?
- Litecoin is one of the world's most popular cryptocurrencies.
It's currently the fourth largest crypto by market cap and has remained near the top pretty much since its inception in October 2011.
And right now, there's no denying Litecoin is one of the most hyped cryptos out there.
After all, the coin has rocketed over 300% this year alone. That's more than what you would've received f... ››› more
- [24 June 2019]
- Should you invest in a company that pays ‘special dividends'?
- As you may know, many shares pay dividends. A dividend is a portion of a company's earnings that it pays to its shareholders. Usually this payment happens once or twice a year.
And because they offer this added benefit of a regular income stream, income-seekers love dividend-paying stocks.
But occasionally, companies surprise investors by electing to pay a ‘special dividend'.
Special... ››› more
- [18 June 2019]
- A simple investment tool every income investor should use
- If you own income investments like…
• High yield dividend stocks
• Money-market or bond investments
• Preference shares
• Savings accounts
Then the investment tool I'm about to introduce to you, can play an essential part in helping you achieve your long term income goal.
Outperf... ››› more
- [10 June 2019]
- $16 Billion just flowed into this stock market…And this is just the start
- On 28 May 2019, roughly $16 billion flowed into one stock market.
Did you hear about this in the financial news?
These days, investors have been glued to the trade-war news, which has caused major uncertainty around global growth and stock markets to fall.
But this $16 billion cash injection is a huge story. One that I’ve covered in Real Wealth since 2017.
... ››› more
- [03 June 2019]
- These two charts show the crypto boom is just getting started
- 2019 is shaping up to be a stellar year for crypto investors.
If you bought the two biggest cryptos - bitcoin and ethereum - at the beginning of 2019, you'd be sitting on gains of 63% and 29% respectively.
That's more than double the returns of the S&P500 and the JSE All Share.
But, cryptos are more than just about prices and gains.
There are bigger things happening behind the ... ››› more
- [14 May 2019]