Planning For Your Retirement
- How would you like R5.5 million at retirement?
- What would you prefer? A pay out of R5.5 million the day you retire, or lifetime guaranteed income of R46,772 per month every month till you pass away.
If you started saving R300 per month towards your retirement in 1978 (roughly 7.5% of the average household income back then) you'd sit with exactly that choice today…
So what's the best choice? How do you ensure that your money lasts you a... ››› more
- [18 July 2018]
- Why you need to think differently for retirement planning
- It's never too early to start planning for retirement. And this means thinking somewhat differently about retirement planning for your later years.
Have you ever stopped and asked yourself these questions?
1. How much will I need to save for retirement in order to live comfortably?
2. What are my retirement goals?
3. When should I start?
4. What should I do?
5. What costs might I... ››› more
- [21 September 2017]
- What my mother taught me about retiring wealthy
- I probably learned more from my mother's retirement experience than anyone else's. When she retired, she wanted security, lived austerely, but had no idea whatsoever of enhancing value.
And therein lay the disaster. My mother sold her home, moved into a seemingly more secure rented complex, and placed all financial resources into a low interest bearing building society account in an extremely h... ››› more
- [14 August 2017]
- Eight reasons you won't have enough to retire - Here's what you need to do right now!
- You won't have enough money to retire.
I know I sound like the harbinger of doom, but it's a reality that you and most South Africans need to face up to.
Now you might be asking, why am I saying this about you? Well, I am only looking at the statistics.
The Financial Planning Institute of South Africa says less than a quarter of South Africans can afford to retire. If you think that's ... ››› more
- [11 August 2016]
- How to avoid the 20 most common retirement planning mistakes
- There are so many things you need to consider when planning for your retirement.
Of course, there's the obvious retirement planning concerns, like how much you earn and how much debt you have but there are other factors that could leave you scrambling around trying desperately to build up your retirement savings.
To help you prepare for your retirement, I've found 20 of the most common ret... ››› more
- [02 June 2016]
- Planning for your retirement? Here's what a retirement annuity offers you…
- Planning for retirement isn't an easy thing to do. There are so many choices about how you can save and invest for your future.
One option you have is to contribute to a retirement annuity.
So what exactly is a retirement annuity? And how do they work?
Read on to find out more…
What is a retirement annuity?
A retirement annuity is a way to save for your retirement.
You can... ››› more
- [27 January 2016]
- A guide to planning for retirement through the ages
- You most likely already know that the earlier you start preparing for retirement, the better.
From when you start work until you reach retirement age, there are certain things you should focus on in terms of planning for your retirement.
Let's take a closer look…
Planning for retirement in your 20s
In your 20s, retirement planning isn’t likely to be top of mind, but this is whe... ››› more
- [21 October 2015]
- Planning for your retirement? Here are five options to consider…
- Planning for your later years is no easy task. There are so many decisions to make.
You know you need to make provisions and save for retirement, but what are your options?
Read on to find out more about five ways you can fund or top up your retirement savings…
How to plan for your retirement
Planning for retirement is a time consuming task. Of course, the earlier you start the be... ››› more
- [19 October 2015]
- Four surprising facts that could jeopardise your retirement
- By now, you should probably be saving as much as you can for retirement. If you aren't already, you should be taking advantage of your employer's contribution fund.
And, if your employer doesn't offer this, then you should be planning for your retirement yourself.
To plan correctly, you need to have some knowledge of the retirement industry.
So, here are some surprising facts about ret... ››› more
- [26 August 2014]
- Two things you need to think about when planning your retirement
- Being 65 doesn't mean it's your time to retire. How do you know you've planned for a happy life after retirement? Have you saved enough money for a comfortable retirement? Today, we reveal two things you need to think about when planning your retirement...
Here are two factors to think about when planning your retirement:
1. How much you’ve saved decides when you retire
... ››› more
- [08 April 2014]
- Has your retirement planning made provision to counter these four risks?
- Most retirement experts make retiring well seem easy: Pick the amount you want to live on when you say goodbye to the corporate world and save enough money to get there. But here's the thing: There are five common retirement risks your retirement strategy has to take into account if you want to make sure your future really is golden…
Four retirement risks your retirement strategy MUST cover
... ››› more
- [19 March 2014]
- Solid dividend paying shares: One way to achieve your retirement goals
- If you haven't already, you need to think about your retirement. Once you've decided how you'd like to spend your retirement, the crucial thing you need to work out is how you're going to achieve that. You need enough money coming in to allow you to live your golden years comfortably. Read on to discover an option worth considering…
How do you want to spend your retirement?
The sooner you s... ››› more
- [10 March 2014]
- Retirement planning 101: Three things you need to do today to prepare for tomorrow
- In general, people spend more time planning a holiday than they do their retirement. That's scary considering a holiday is only a few weeks long at most, whereas your retirement is something you need for years. Today, we reveal three essential parts of your retirement planning you need to concentrate on today to make sure your tomorrow is a comfortable and happy one…
Preparing for your retire... ››› more
- [06 March 2014]
- Revealed: Nine ways to ensure you'll retire comfortably
- Planning adequately for your retirement has never been harder. It seems the days are long gone when your employer would plough money into a pension scheme on your behalf or even provide you with a pension scheme to contribute into. This means that it's down to you to plan for your golden years…
Can you answer this simple question: Will you be able to retire?
There are probably very few peop... ››› more
- [25 June 2013]
- Plan to retire? Dodge these 3 lethal mistakes...
- We've all heard the mantra of planning for your retirement. “Just save more than you spend and you'll be fine,” or “Start saving early so that you can live well for the rest of your life.” I've seen people chant these tunes, but more often than not - there's no music at the end of the tunnel. That's because even though they might have a plan for retirement, it's fundamentally flawed. Th... ››› more
- [14 June 2013]