South African Reserve Bank
- Three top risks for the rand in 2019 and how to profit
- South Africans are at the edge of their seats, with what's going on this year.
From the ongoing US-China trade war, never ending Brexit decision, South Africa going back into the dark ages, the spreading rumours that the US is about to enter a recession this year - and this is just the tip of the iceberg for 2019.
The worst is yet to come. And it all starts, and ends, with the rand.
To... ››› more
- [02 April 2019]
- Pravin Gordhan believes South Africa will dodge another recession
- So far this year, you've heard the word recession a lot. It's a real threat to the economy right now.
The third quarter of 2015 saw 0.7% gross domestic product (GDP) growth - the fourth quarter saw 0.6% GDP growth. Results of the first quarter of 2016 shows the economy contracted 1.2%.
Economists expected the economy to contract only 0.1%, which leads me to believe that nobody really knows... ››› more
- [28 July 2016]
- Why you should use this interest rate pause to boost your financial situation
- Since the South African reserve bank decided not to increase interest rates again, you have a brief moment of relief to make sure that you get your financial house in order before the next rate hike. Now is the time to be more frugal with your money. It's not the time to make more debt or increase your spending.
The challenges for consumers in 2016 are far from over. No one know if the reserve... ››› more
- [20 May 2016]
- Finally, the rand finds a stable footing thanks to the South African Reserve Bank
- The past few weeks have been harrowing for the rand.
It's been taking a severe beating from the dollar in the past two weeks.
Worst of all, rumours about the arrest of Pravin Gordhan has certainly not been helping matters at all. But, finally, it seems to have found a moment of stability. How long this will last, I don't know.
But let's take a closer look...
The rand is battered by t... ››› more
- [20 May 2016]
- Will rising interest rates mean the end for the listed property boom in 2016?
- South African interest rates are up 0.5% for the year.
This was the South African Reserve Bank's (SARB) reaction to growing inflation and a weakening rand.
And, looking, at what's going on internationally I expect South African interest rates to go up even more in 2016.
You see, the US Federal Reserve Bank signalled it was likely to increase interest rates at its next meeting on 15 Decemb... ››› more
- [07 December 2015]
- Chances are the Reserve Bank will keep interest rates unchanged
- Tomorrow afternoon, the South African Reserve Bank's monetary policy committee meeting will conclude.
Will the committee decide to hike rates or will it keep then unchanged?
Let's take a look…
Interest rates may rise in November
Thanks to the US Federal Reserve keeping its interest rates unchanged last Thursday, it looks likely that the Reserve Bank will follow its lead, reports F... ››› more
- [22 September 2015]
- There's a new governor in town and he can help you bank another 70.43% trading gain on the rand
- Earlier this week, it was announced that Lesetja Kganyago is going to replace Gill Marcus, as the Governor of the South African Reserve Bank.
For the past three years, was one of Ms. Marcus deputy governor's. And so the country and myself, are thrilled for him to take over as the next leader of the SARB.
I believe by appointing Mr. Kganyago, it has helped restore confidence in the country.... ››› more
- [08 October 2014]
- Revealed: The platinum strike 'profit phoenix'
- There's no denying, five months of strikes in the platinum industry has created a mess out of our economy. Even the South African Reserve Bank admitted the effects of the strike was part of why they only increased our interest rate with 0.25% instead of the typical 0.5%.
But out of all the bad that's happened for the platinum sector, one good thing's emerged...
Like a phoenix rises out of th... ››› more
- [18 July 2014]
- Do you buy the burning car or a BMW when the economy is bad?
- On Thursday 22 May the South African Reserve bank kept interest rates flat. But in the same speech the reserve bank governor, Gill Marcus, warned everyone…
She said they expected the worst quarterly GDP figures for the South African economy since the 2008 recession.
And with platinum workers still striking, around R10 billion worth of their wages alone have disappeared from our economy thi... ››› more
- [23 May 2014]
- The Reserve Bank fines the top four banks R125 million over lax FICA controls
- Earlier today, the South African Reserve Bank announced it fined the four largest South African banks over lax Financial Intelligence Centre Act (FICA) controls. This relates to the banks failing to have adequate provisions against money laundering and the financing of terrorism. The central bank dealt each bank a hefty fine. Let's take a closer look at what happened…
*************************... ››› more
- [16 April 2014]
- The Reserve Banks keeps interest rates unchanged… for now
- This afternoon, governor of the South African Reserve Bank, Gill Marcus, announced that interest rates would remain unchanged. This follows the bank's monetary policy committee's three day meeting. Let's take a closer look at the central bank's decision…
The repo rate remains at 5.5%
The Reserve Bank will keep “its key lending rate on hold at 5.5%,” reports Fin24. The decision to keep i... ››› more
- [27 March 2014]
- The Reserve Bank surprises by hiking interest rates 0.5%
- This afternoon, the South African Reserve Bank announced the outcome of its monetary policy committee meeting. The central bank's governor, Gill Marcus, revealed that interest rates were to increase by 50 basis points as of tomorrow. Let's take a closer look at the decision…
At a press conference following the conclusion of the first monetary policy committee meeting of the year, Gill Marcus a... ››› more
- [29 January 2014]
- Marcus' remarks send JSE down at week end - can this week's GDP announcement fix it?
- The JSE ended last week on a down note even as the Dow hit a new all-time closing high. Statements from the South African Reserve Bank (SARB) were partly responsible for this. Today, we look at why as well as analyse what we expect to when GDP figures are announced later this week…
In the latest SARB announcement, Governor Gill Marcus highlighted the fact that SA’s inflation remains uncomfo... ››› more
- [25 November 2013]
- Reserve Bank cautions on the impact of strikes on ratings
- Earlier today, the South African Reserve Bank (SARB) released its September 2013 Financial Stability Review. In the review, the central bank warns of the effects on high unemployment and strike action on the country's credit ratings. Let's take a closer look at what the Reserve Bank revealed in its report…
In the report, SARB says the main risks to economic growth and its credit ratings are la... ››› more
- [29 October 2013]
- SA lags behind its peers in forex reserves - a bigger ‘cushion' is required
- Earlier today, Gill Marcus, the governor of the South African Reserve Bank, said that SA needs to boost its foreign exchange reserves. SA is well behind the likes of China and Brazil in terms of these reserves. With a high risk of capital outflows due to the US's monetary policy, we're in a vulnerable position. Let's take a closer look…
Earlier today, Gill Marcus addressed Parliament’s finan... ››› more
- [09 October 2013]
- SA's forex reserves for September are higher than expected
- Earlier today, the South African Reserve Bank released data on its foreign exchange reserves for September. The figure surprised, coming in slightly higher than expected. Let's take a closer look at what boosted reserves…
“Gold and foreign currency reserves rose more than expected” last month, reports IOL. This boost was due to the National Treasury selling foreign bonds.
The Reserve Ba... ››› more
- [07 October 2013]
- The Reserve Bank keeps interest rates unchanged
- Following the South African Reserve Bank's three day monetary policy committee (MPC) meeting, earlier today the bank revealed it's keeping interest rates unchanged. With inflation creeping higher and economic growth still a concern, let's take a closer look at what the Reserve Bank said today…
The Reserve Bank has left interest rates unchanged in its latest MPC meeting, reports iAfrica. That k... ››› more
- [19 September 2013]
- No surprises from the Reserve Bank as interest rates remain unchanged
- Following three days of discussions at its monetary policy committee meeting, Gill Marcus, governor of the South African Reserve Bank revealed that interest rates wouldn't change for the time being. Let's see what Marcus revealed in her statement…
Today, Gill Marcus confirmed that interest rates would remain unchanged, “keeping the repo rate at 40 year lows of 5%,” reports Fin24.
The in... ››› more
- [18 July 2013]
- Faced with tough times SA's economy continues to grow
- Bad news seems to be emulating from everywhere we look at the moment. The markets, at home and abroad, are struggling to come to terms with a barrage of negative news and sentiment. But the outlook for SA isn't looking too bad…
It’s not all doom and gloom for the South African economy, after the South African Reserve Bank announced some positive news this morning…
The Reserve Bank’s c... ››› more
- [25 June 2013]
- Here's how last week's QE decision is affecting global markets
- Stock markets came under immense pressure over the past few weeks as a result of uncertainty surrounding the US Fed's QE policies. Chairman Bernake's statement at the latest FOMC meeting did little to calm traders. In fact, it increased market fears by implying that should the FED's forecasts prove correct and the US economy continues to improve, we could expect QE3 to begin to be reduced by the e... ››› more
- [25 June 2013]