Viv Govender, Wealth Manager
- October Structured Product Pick: The only investment which gives you five shots at a mega-profit
- Imagine how much more successful you'd be if you had five chances to kick a penalty…
Five chances to sink a putt…
Five chances to nail that perfect landing…
Well that is exactly what my October Structured Product pick offers you: Five chances to make mega-profit.
And, best of all, you can customise this investment to suit your specific needs by choosing to invest in either Ra... ››› more
- [17 October 2019]
- This week's WEF opens up a short-term opportunity to profit
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) on Africa 2019 is currently taking place in Cape Town. During this three-day event, our most senior politicians will be out in full force to convince the international community South Africa remains investable.
They'll discuss lofty matters such as the 4th Industrial Revolution (4IR), sustainability, digitalisation and stability. And, if history is any indication... ››› more
- [05 September 2019]
- Is Cyril worse for your money than Zuma?
- I never thought I'd say this…
While President Cyril Ramaphosa may be less corrupt than Zuma, his economic theories are almost as bad.
I am too.
Like the rest of the market, I celebrated when Ramaphosa replaced Zuma. Aided by heroes of the anti-Zuma movement like Pravin Gordon, I truly hoped we'd see a “New Dawn” for South Africa and a turnaround for our economy.
... ››› more
- [29 August 2019]
- Have you missed your chance to move money out of the country?
- The rand has collapsed over the last two weeks. It moved from below R13,90/$ to worse than R15,30/$. That's more than 10% weaker in a fortnight. Obviously, many of you are worried you've lost your chance to get money out of SA at a reasonable exchange rate.
The question on everyone's mind: Should you get out now or wait for a better level?
The only way to answer this question is to look f... ››› more
- [15 August 2019]
- What you should know before investing offshore
- By now, I assume, most investors would agree, having all your money invested in SA is a bad idea.
Our low growth, unstable politics and a volatile currency are important considerations. However, the most important reason to invest offshore, is the local investment universe is simply too small. At less than 0.6% of global GDP, South Africa is simply too small to provide you with enough opportun... ››› more
- [08 August 2019]
- July Structured Product Pick - A middle road investment which will benefit from a weaker rand
- The rand has only just broken back below the key R14/$ level and I can tell from the client flows going through our treasury desk, many South Africans are once again keen to get money out of the country.
The USD/ZAR exchange rate was well over R15/$ just a few weeks ago.
This means, the rand has firmed up around +7.75% in the last month-and-a-half. Put another way, that's about a year's wo... ››› more
- [18 July 2019]
- Do you have enough for retirement?
- If you're approaching retirement, it's likely this question is keeping you up at night.
It doesn't really matter if you're wealthy, comfortable or just making ends meet. When you get to retirement age the world changes.
In the course of my life I've worked with high-flying executives living what can only be described as “the dream”. Owners of multiple businesses, in multiple countries.... ››› more
- [27 June 2019]
- If you are retiring in the next 12 months, you must read this now
- Almost everyone dreams of retirement as a time of peace and relaxation but, in reality, the retirement process is probably the riskiest financial event in your life.
There are two main reasons for this.
Firstly, the decisions you make today will decide the quality of the rest of your life.
Secondly, it is virtually impossible to recover if you make a mistake. By definition this is as r... ››› more
- [06 June 2019]
- June Structured Product Pick: The best product I've seen this year, but can't tell you about!
- Warren Buffett has many great investment quotes, but perhaps my favourite is “Rule No. 1: Never lose money. Rule No. 2: Never forget rule No. 1”. This has never been more applicable than now. The world is about to become a far more uncertain place for investors as a series of political and economic events threaten to derail the global economy.
Number one on the list of threats is the US-Ch... ››› more
- [30 May 2019]
- How can you escape the US-China Trade War?
- The US/China trade war has continued to escalate as President Trump tries to lock in a victory ahead of next year's presidential elections.
Huawei, the Chinese smartphone maker, is the most recent target of his attacks. The company uses Google's Android operating system for its phones and due to US sanctions, it is likely that Google will be prevented from doing business with the company.
... ››› more
- [23 May 2019]
- An Offshore Portfolio with a Twist
- Take a moment to look at following logos:
Behind these logos are some of the strongest, blue-chip companies on the planet.
These global companies have such a broad reach that even today, at the tip of Africa, you’ll likely recognize some, if not most, of the brands.
6 Shares... ››› more
- [04 April 2019]
- South Africa vs the World
- If you have a JSE portfolio, you know the markets have been bad for the last few years.
From the start of January 2015 until the end of February 2019, the JSE top 40 is up less than 15%, which is less than 5% per year. This is much less than the “normal” return of about 15% per year.
The recent underperformance of the JSE is a key reason many retirees are now experiencing a shortfall i... ››› more
- [14 March 2019]
- My favourite structured product so far in 2018
- April is almost over, and I can't believe this is only my second structured product pick for 2018.
Originally, I planned to introduce at least one structured product per month, but the financial markets have just not played ball.
And, given the nature of these products, I would rather send you nothing than introduce you to a product that didn’t meet my stringent criteria.
You s... ››› more
- [26 April 2018]
- The right Tax Free Savings Account could make your children billionaires
- Regular readers will recall I wrote an article a few weeks ago, which claimed that investing the full Tax Free Savings Account (TFSA) allowance for your new-born child would turn him into a billionaire by the time he retired.
Even after the effects of inflation, this investment would mean R200,000 per month income, in today's money.
An explosive claim, I know, but one that I can back up wi... ››› more
- [15 March 2018]
- Tax Year End: What you absolutely must do before 28 February 2018
- Tax year end is fast approaching.
This means, next week Wednesday, your tax breaks for the 2017/2018 year will expire.
Fortunately, it's not too late to maximise all your benefits before you lose them.
But don't worry, because today I'm going to show you how to do this…
Three tax breaks every investor receives
As a private investor you receive three main tax breaks:
... ››› more
- [22 February 2018]
- My #1 structured product pick for February 2018
- As we enter 2018, many people are looking to diversify their portfolios.
Normally this would be an ideal time to invest offshore, but unfortunately offshore markets are at record highs. So it's difficult to find any value.
At the same time, staying in cash is not viable with global inflation edging up slowly.
So how can you diversify offshore without putting too much of your money at ... ››› more
- [31 January 2018]
- Very few structured products have met our standards, but this one does…
- Over the last couple of months, you may have heard about structured products and why they're an attractive investment class.
I've been writing about them for MoneyMorning since March.
But I've not had a chance to recommend one until today…
Let me explain why.
New Release: ‘Double your Money’ Stock Play Book for 2018 by Francois Joubert
This structure... ››› more
- [11 January 2018]
- How to trade the rand rally in 2018...
- When Cyril Ramaphosa managed to defeat Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma and the Jacob Zuma faction for the position of ANC president, the rand went crazy.
It moved stronger by more than 10% versus the US dollar and was the world's best performing currency over the last month.
I do not argue the relief felt after the Ramaphosa win is unwarranted.
I will however say that this one change wi... ››› more
- [11 January 2018]
- Nine years upside: Time to lock in some of those gains?
- As we head to the end of 2017, we are approaching the nine year anniversary of the current bull market. If nine years seems like a long time, you are correct: It is.
This is the second longest bull market in history and counting. Most stock indices are at all-time highs and many investors are currently sitting on massive gains in their portfolios.
At the same time risks are rising. We have... ››› more
- [07 December 2017]
- July Structured Product Pick: 100% capital protection, offshore returns and uncapped upside… need I say more?
- Regular readers will know I'm quite a fan of structured products.
The combination for capital protection and market related returns are very attractive in the current economic environment. Especially with international markets posting new all-time highs while downside risks to your portfolio seem to grow daily.
Over the last year or so, I have always been able to find one or two products e... ››› more
- [04 October 2017]